Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Other, Please state below

Votes: 10 52.6%

• Total voters

HungryWolf

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 2, 2012
I have this chicken coop and we have 5 week old chicks and they will go outside in a week

but the chicken coop is on dirt and im wondering

Should we get some Hay and line the ground with it? or is the hard dirt fine?

it says i have 10 views so alot of viewers arent voting

Please vote if you are viewing

Also to the person who clicked other

Please state below why you picked other and what the other is

I know i should have added sand and sawdust to that list i just didnt because i felt sand would be hard to find

I use straw. (did you mean "straw" instead of "hay"?) It turns to a nice mulch after a few months. The hens love spreading it and scratching through it. They get excited when they see me coming into the coop with a fresh bale in my arms. They get a lot of exercise and find a lot of bugs and worms when they dig through the straw. I live in NC and straw works well for me where I live. It doesn't work in all areas.

Good luck!

Does the coop itself have pine shavings in it? I had the same question when I started my little chicken farm =) What to put in the little run under the coop?? I started with straw but they scratch so much and it made a huge mess in the first 3 days that I had them locked up in the coop to get used to it. After I started letting them out in my yard I cleaned out their little run that's attached to the coop and left it clean. I do have grass growing there but my chickens roam my yard freely all day long and they are not even interested in pecking at the grass in the coop run. I also like to keep their water and feed outside of their coop in the little run. So the straw made a mess in the food and water. Now that I don't have anything it stays clean. It also is easier to clean as I just spray the grass with the hose if they poop there. So I vote plain ground =)

There is a video of a guy who puts grass after mowing in his little run. It does look comfy and fun for the chickens! =)

Grass is fine -- unless they eat too much and get an impacted crop. Trouble is, occasionally one will get an impacted crop from straw or hay as well -- and gobs of people use both.

Back
Top Bottom