What to put under pine shavings in nesting boxes?

Chickadooo

Songster
Sep 4, 2018
Michigan
My hens apparently like to kick out the layer of news paper and shred it for fun. Makes a mess of the boxes. What else should I put under the shavings? I'd like to put something, so when it's time to clean it's easier..

I use excelsior pads that are laminated to brown paper. They last a decent amount of time but eventually come apart and have to be replaced. I don't mind because over time they also get impacted with feathers and the odd bits of poo that I'm happy to be rid of.

They come in bundles of 10.

Strombergs also has these artificial turf alternatives. These are permanent but you have to hose them down to clean them so they're not only more expensive but you'd have to have back ups to substitute for the ones that are drying out.

Ordinarily I'm in favor of a more permanent solution but, since the broken down excelsior ones compost beautifully, that's my choice.

My hens apparently like to kick out the layer of news paper and shred it for fun. Makes a mess of the boxes. What else should I put under the shavings? I'd like to put something, so when it's time to clean it's easier..
Do you have a lip on your nest boxes? My hens don't kick out much nesting material at all. I have pine shavings as a base with a mixture of mostly pine straw with a few leaves mixed in on top of that. I've never cleaned out my nest boxes and replaced everything in over a year. Pick out the occasional poop, but never a complete change out.

Do you have a lip on your nest boxes? My hens don't kick out much nesting material at all. I have pine shavings as a base with a mixture of mostly pine straw with a few leaves mixed in on top of that. I've never cleaned out my nest boxes and replaced everything in over a year. Pick out the occasional poop, but never a complete change out.
For me, though my boxes have lips, they would kick out enough shavings to leave the spot in the middle bare wood, so I was getting more cracked eggs than I liked. Thus the carpet tiles, they add padding and they can't get them kicked out of the nests.

For me, though my boxes have lips, they would kick out enough shavings to leave the spot in the middle bare wood, so I was getting more cracked eggs than I liked. Thus the carpet tiles, they add padding and they can't get them kicked out of the nests.

I ended up putting a layer of straw for some cushion, and it's really packed in there so hopefully they won't move it around- and I put pine shavings on top of the straw.

Back
Top Bottom