What treat did your chickies get today?

Mine have been getting ripe alpine strawberries lately - they're the perfect size for their beaks and no one else in the house wants to eat them. Otherwise they get some corn on the cob when I have it or cantaloupe rinds. Today they got some earwigs too (gross) that got flushed out during coop cleaning, they were all happily hopping up and down and picking them off the wall.

They don't like greens, ever. Or peppers. They only seem to want sweet things.
tongue.png

Mine have been getting ripe alpine strawberries lately - they're the perfect size for their beaks and no one else in the house wants to eat them. Otherwise they get some corn on the cob when I have it or cantaloupe rinds. Today they got some earwigs too (gross) that got flushed out during coop cleaning, they were all happily hopping up and down and picking them off the wall.

They don't like greens, ever. Or peppers. They only seem to want sweet things.
tongue.png

Stop giving the sweets for awhile until they'll eat other things, and not bread. Would you only give your children candy?

Stop giving the sweets for awhile until they'll eat other things, and not bread. Would you only give your children candy?

I'll try holding off on sweeter foods but they're pretty much on a diet of feed, grass and bugs. I just throw in the treats when I do have them. Grass is their usual forage and they pick at it all day so I don't know why they don't want greens instead. They won't eat bread at all. I tried some squash today which they picked at but only ate a few bites of, but at least that's some progress with something that's not sweet.

Cut back some broccoli that was starting to flower, so they got that and some flowering radish greens too. Also picked beets from the garden for dinner, so the flock got the greens that were too shabby for me to sauté up. They also got the skin from the cooked beets, and trimmings from zucchini and yellow summer squash. There was way too much for one day, so the lucky chickies get seconds tomorrow!

I'll try holding off on sweeter foods but they're pretty much on a diet of feed, grass and bugs. I just throw in the treats when I do have them. Grass is their usual forage and they pick at it all day so I don't know why they don't want greens instead. They won't eat bread at all. I tried some squash today which they picked at but only ate a few bites of, but at least that's some progress with something that's not sweet.

That's good, have you given them the insides of the squash? mine love the seeds and guts of squash and pumpkin. Overgrown cucs from the garden too, cut them open and the love the insides.

Back
Top Bottom