What treats are good for baby chicks?

Chickadee13542

In the Brooder
Jan 22, 2018
hi I have 4 day old chicks and was wondering if there is any treat I can give them? Or should I just let them eat chick starter for now?

Definitely keep them primarily on chick starter. It should be a good balanced formula, that will help their digestive systems fully adjust to the type of food they will be eating for a lifetime.

That said, you can offer small amounts (< 10%) treats. I like to start with crumbled scrambled egg or hard boiled egg yolks. That is what they started life with and are well adapted to the nutrients there. Also, mine went nuts for it. :)

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Chick starter really is the best. :old

I avoid treats for a very long time. But if I am going to offer anything it is usually a little scrambled egg. It does have good vitamins and minerals, but only about 12% protein and I think 30% fat.

I eventually (closer to 6 weeks) might add in a few meal worms or red wigglers, but they need some sort of grit.

Instead, I might bring in a plug of grass/dirt from your yard which will give some grit.. but it will also provide enrichment and an opportunity for the chick to build some immunity to the stuff that's in your soil while it still has a high immunity as well. It works a lot better than tossing them out full time with no exposure or immunity.

Pics always welcome! ;)

Outside of perhaps hard boiled eggs well crumbled with DRY old fashioned or ROLLED oat meal there are no acceptable treats that are GOOD for 4 day old baby chicks. However chickens grow like weeds and by 7 days of age baby chicks will start eating or trying to eat whole kernels of corn and hulled oats. Let them be chickens, it is their nature but keep chick starter in front of them.

Back
Top Bottom