What WON'T your chickens eat?

Pics
My older hens hate carrots. They won't touch them. Luckily, my younger chicks love them.
My chickens also hate banana. I always get a bunch of death glares when I bring banana to them.
My older hens also don't like pumpkin. I haven't fed any to my younger chicks yet, so I don't know how they feel about it.

Update: I brought some squash innards out to my chickens. The older girls reacted as expected (complete and utter disgust), and two of my four chicks hated it too. Only my cochin bantam pullet, and my EE cockerel liked the squash.
What part of the pumpkin can chickens eat?

Strawberries, sometimes they don’t like blueberries. Otherwise just about anything. Iceberg lettuce wasn’t a favorite either.
Cantaloupe!!
I took some to them one day, and you’d have thought I was feeding them rat poison the way they acted!! They looked at me with such disappointment after thinking I had a yummy treat.

A lot of people have been saying that their chickens don't like blueberries/especially strawberry... Mine go absolutely CRAZY for them, the same with cantaloupe. However, they don't like many greens, like lettuce or cabbage. *Sigh*

This may be kinda bad of me... idk but I just let my chickens eat all that they want to out of the pumpkin once I have cut it open. That is usually most of it except the skin/rine. But sometimes they will take a peck at that. All chickens are different.
OK, thank you. My hens tend to be picky sometimes, they also like softer foods, so not sure if they would like pumpkin but I maybe will give it a shot. I gave them raspberries for the first time today, and my California white, went nuts for them.

I'm no longer surprised with what chickens will eat, mine have eaten (with great relish) the usual oddities, lizards, bees, drywall, Styrofoam etc... now, I'm surprised with what they refuse to eat!
Blueberries
Strawberries
Spinach
Green grapes (but red or purple are ok)
Bell peppers
And various other things I would consider to be A+ chicken chow.
They just stand in it and look disgusted.
What won't your chickens eat?
My chickens LOVE green grapes.

My girls have refused carrots, bananas and cellar bugs!
I offered them squash guts and seeds for the first time on Thanksgiving Day (Monday, we're in Canada) and Genevieve thought that was the BOMB! She went crazy for those! So cute.
Yeah, my chickens seem to not like cellar bugs.

Back
Top Bottom