What would you say are the BEST tempered, GOOD laying, NICE looking hens?

We got 3 baby chicks last April and randomly decided to order 2 Easter Eggers and a Black Australorpe after only ever having had Buff Orpingtons. Tilly is our black Australorpe and is turning our to be the friendliest, sweetest chicken ever, and a wonderful egg layer, popping out more by far than the others. Here is a photo of her!
xmas_tilly_moneyshot copy.jpg

We got 3 baby chicks last April and randomly decided to order 2 Easter Eggers and a Black Australorpe after only ever having had Buff Orpingtons. Tilly is our black Australorpe and is turning our to be the friendliest, sweetest chicken ever, and a wonderful egg layer, popping out more by far than the others. Here is a photo of her!View attachment 3413664
She looks like she is saying "Does this scarf make my bottom look big?"

We got 3 baby chicks last April and randomly decided to order 2 Easter Eggers and a Black Australorpe after only ever having had Buff Orpingtons. Tilly is our black Australorpe and is turning our to be the friendliest, sweetest chicken ever, and a wonderful egg layer, popping out more by far than the others. Here is a photo of her!View attachment 3413664
Awww! She is sooo cute! Cute scarf! I looked them up and they sound perfect! I saw that they lay 250 eggs per year but one did 364, I am not expecting that many :lau

Yes I have seen them, thing is, they lay only 100 eggs per year unless Google is getting it wrong.
This is true in my experience. I will always have Russian orloff in my flock. Not because of their laying prowess but because of their crazy good looks and their inquisitive charming personalities.
You will never know what breeds you want until you experience them. Get a nice mixed flock to start. Weed out the breeds that aren't working for you and try others.
Breeds I promote and raise for first timers include EE, OE, BR, any color Wyandotte, Welsummer, Sussex, a chocolate egg layer and some great layers like BA and leghorn. What's the best is like asking " Who's your favorite kid?"

We have six Buff Orpingtons. They are super nice (occasionally noisy though) and I would definitely recommend them for anyone starting out or needing a break from roosters bent on killing you.
They lay a lot of eggs (up there with Leghorns actually!) and feather really nice, they can get very pretty.

Good luck!

We have six Buff Orpingtons. They are super nice (occasionally noisy though) and I would definitely recommend them for anyone starting out or needing a break from roosters bent on killing you.
They lay a lot of eggs (up there with Leghorns actually!) and feather really nice, they can get very pretty.

Good luck!
Thanks!! I'll keep them in mind too.

Which sorts of chicken would you say have a nice temperament, are good layers and look nice.
I saw that leghorns look nice and lay about 300 eggs per year, but can be unfriendly, what would you say? If they are raised from chicks, will they be friendly? :jumpy
I have 6 California Leghorns, a cross btw California Grey's and white leghorns. They are Excellent Layers, get 5-6 eggs a day. Pretty much all year round even in our Northern New Mexico winters.
Reason for having Chickens, EGGS! About half of them are quite friendly. All were raised from chicks. None are aggressive. Just make it harder to catch them when they get out of their Yard.

Back
Top Bottom