What would YOU want to see at a bake sale?

If you made something dairy free would be awesome, a decent percentage of people are sensitive or allergic to dairy, and baking dairy free is easy. I use butter flavored crisco instead of butter in cookies.

These Mexican Hot Cocoa cookies are a favorite and go over well, again, I just sub out the butter for butter flavored crisco! I also triple to quadruple the cayenne 😁

http://www.bakersbrigade.com/recipe/chewy-mexican-hot-chocolate-cookies/
Good idea! I wasn't sure how to do dairy and/or gluten free... I wasn't sure if cross contamination is a thing with that? Like if I'm using flour the same day to bake something else would it ruin the point of gluten free?

Oh another tip, look into regulations regarding the sale of baked goods. Around here, we have requirements in our "Cottage Food Law" about things like "A small business owner operating under the Cottage Food Law must register with the county health department and take a food safety course or attend a Cottage Food Law class." And from what I remember seeing at a craft sale some years back, it goes for anyone selling baked goods otherwise they had one lady display a sign saying she had not been inspected. It varies - just check with state/county law!
Would a one off bake sale need a license? I know that pre covid, friends and myself have never had any issue with our small bake sales that have always been in just neighborhoods, never anything at fairs. I find it SUPER hard looking through regulations/laws-I dealt with it when I was looking at our chicken nightmare, and it took me about an hour to understand the chicken paragraph.

If you made something dairy free would be awesome, a decent percentage of people are sensitive or allergic to dairy, and baking dairy free is easy. I use butter flavored crisco instead of butter in cookies.

These Mexican Hot Cocoa cookies are a favorite and go over well, again, I just sub out the butter for butter flavored crisco! I also triple to quadruple the cayenne 😁

http://www.bakersbrigade.com/recipe/chewy-mexican-hot-chocolate-cookies/
ooh, that sounded so good that I'm making a batch right now! I'll update later on how they came out! :)

Good idea! I wasn't sure how to do dairy and/or gluten free... I wasn't sure if cross contamination is a thing with that? Like if I'm using flour the same day to bake something else would it ruin the point of gluten free?
When dealing with allergens I always use a dishwasher, make the allergen free stuff first then add in allergens. Pretty much a good deep clean is needed to go back to an allergen free / safe state. I'm completely dairy free and it doesn't take much to trigger anaphylaxis.

I'd do the same for gluten free, before you have flour flying around the kitchen, do your gluten free recipes. 😊

When dealing with allergens I always use a dishwasher, make the allergen free stuff first then add in allergens. Pretty much a good deep clean is needed to go back to an allergen free / safe state. I'm completely dairy free and it doesn't take much to trigger anaphylaxis.

I'd do the same for gluten free, before you have flour flying around the kitchen, do your gluten free recipes. 😊
Uh oh........I wouldn't want to give anyone an allergic reaction. That makes sense with the doing the allergen free recipes first. Now I'm worried- I wouldn't want to say that something was gluten/dairy free and then have it not be.

Uh oh........I wouldn't want to give anyone an allergic reaction. That makes sense with the doing the allergen free recipes first. Now I'm worried- I wouldn't want to say that something was gluten/dairy free and then have it not be.
Don't worry yourself out of a fun time! Just know what cookies have different allergens and store / handle them separately. Have the ingredients listed for each item you are offering, if you came by my place I'd ask what was in them and any followup questions. If you had something dairy free and said you'd made and handled them appropriately I'd be stoked!

Don't worry yourself out of a fun time! Just know what cookies have different allergens and store / handle them separately. Have the ingredients listed for each item you are offering, if you came by my place I'd ask what was in them and any followup questions. If you had something dairy free and said you'd made and handled them appropriately I'd be stoked!
I'll see what I can do. I will probably be able to offer a dairy free option but I don't' know what makes a good gluten free option because most recipes use flour.

Back
Top Bottom