What young adults think is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I had to look it up myself. Apparently some religious sportsman known to drop to his knee in prayer when ever a play went in his favor. I didn't read in depth enough to find out what sport he played.

While I can't say for sure about the teens involved, I can say that I'm from Long Island and am familiar with the town where this took place (Riverhead). I highly doubt, based on the largely secular culture of the area (and that the predominant religions are "cafeteria-Catholicism" and "secular Judaism") that they were doing anything other than using the prayer act for the sole purpose of creating a disturbance, not to actually pray. Where I grew up, there was a place for everything, and most people felt that religion's place was in church/temple/whatever and at home -- people didn't wear it on their sleeve or make public pronouncements of faith. Random acts of public prayer in a public high school are most likely mockery.

If they were already warned about interrupting the flow of "traffic" through the halls when they do this, then it's expected that a repeat performance would get them in trouble. But this is not about making prayer not allowed in schools. If a group of people decided to spontaneously hold hands across a hall, causing the same effect of "traffic blocking", they'd get in trouble as well. But that wouldn't justify the claim that the school is banning hand-holding.

Superpeacockman lives a bit closer to Riverhead than I did. Perhaps he knows something more about this and can offer another glimpse into the real reasons behind what these kids were doing.

smile.png

This incident had nothing to do with religion. The kids were emulating the latest up-and-coming sports star.
Yes, Tim Tebow does it for religious reasons, but the kids were just doing it because it is currently popular, and also because their teachers told them to stop doing it!
Oppositional defiance - that's what teenagers do best!

EDIT - For the non-football fans out there, Tim Tebow is the Denver Broncos quarterback. His style of quarterbacking is, well, different from what folks are used to seeing...but it makes for some interesting 4th quarter plays...

Last edited:
I can't figure out why people continue to call it "Tebowing", Tebow wasn't the first ever sports star to drop a knee before playing. I used to be very interested in MMA before becoming a Christian, many MMA fighters hold a Catholic background, and I recall seeing one drop a knee as if he were praying- do the cross symbol like Catholics and then walk right into the ring and pummel a guy.

There have been instances of prayer in many sports, so I guess that is why I don't quite understand why everyone seems to act like Tebow was the first in history? On topic, I think the kids were just emulating as some said and not praying. I remember reading about another news article where kids were suspended for "playing around" between classes. Which is the same subject I believe.

God bless,
Daniel.

Are they actually praying or being smart alecs?

If it was praying, than this suspension is completely unlawful. If they were being funny, than they sure deserve it.

If they were doing it to pray, why would they do it in the middle of a crowded hallway when they only have 3 minutes to get to class?

When interviewed, the boys said they did it as a tribute to the football player, not because the motion held any significance to them personally.

One of the complaints I've often heard from those who are not religious against those who are is the hypocrisy of behaving differently when in church than they do in the rest of their lives. Those who truly worship and honor God, in whatever form, do so in every aspect of their lives, and NOT just in the church or temple or mosque.

In Christianity, we are advised to consider the needs of others. We are advised by our scriptures not to be a stumbling block for others. Mr. Tebow does not obstruct any one's ability to get where they need to go when he gives thanks to God during the course of his work. Nor does he insist that anyone who doesn't like it must watch him. There are many other things to look at in the stadium between plays, like paying greater attention to the friends one comes to the game with. The students in the article noted were stumbling blocks, quite literally. Regardless of whether they were worshiping God, worshiping Tebow, or mocking either, it was inappropriate. It's not about freedom of speech or religion. It's about blocking the hallway during a passing period when serious students would like to get to their next class in a timely manner.

Quote:
I agree. The man they are mimicking is sincerely practicing his religion. I doubt these kids were doing the same, and even if they were, they were purposely doing it in such a way to be disruptive.

They were not doing it to pray. ESPN made it famous by saying that is tebowing. Then everyone started doing it like a meme. They know Tebow did it out of prayer but the meme is just to do it in public at a random time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom