Whats the Craziest thing you have done to save a CHICK?

Lacrystol

Hatching Helper
14 Years
Jun 13, 2009
Diamond, Ohio
Here's my story, I had found a splash silkie still in his shell, not moving, not getting out nothing. Completely dead. So I pealed off the shell and sure enough he was dead.

So what's the craziest thing I thought of? YEH, mouth to mouth. So I breathed in his beak 15 times, then took my fingers from under his beak and rubbed him down across his chest, to in between his legs. Did the mouth to mouth and finger thing for about 10 minutes maybe more, I don't know really wasn't keeping track of time. Instead I was yelling at the poor little guy saying things like "I waited 21 days for you and now your just going to quit on me?, Come on little guy!!!".

well after about 10 times or more I stopped and stared at him getting ready to cry when BOOM, he takes a breath. At first I was like "HUH? NO WAY". SO I kept up with the mouth to mouth, pausing each time. BOOM another breath, OH HELL NO, impossible...

Sure enough the little guy was taking short little breaths on his own. I put him in the incubator and laid him on a heating pad, HUGE MISTAKE!!!! The breaths got stronger and stronger, his legs were even twitching. I was like OMG, OMG, OMG OMG NO WAY..

Needless to say I had left the room for 30 minutes to put the ducks to bed and sadly he had stopped breathing again. I should have stayed by him because I did the costly mistake of laying him on that heating pad, trying to think of the quickest way to get him warm but causing him to stop again.. It was to hot for the little guy.. Stupid mistake. But amazing that he took that BREATH.

So what's the CRAZIEST THING have you ever done to save a CHICK???

That is amazing!! And even though your little one didnt make it (there was prob something wrong inside) its good to know that its even possible!!! I will always remember that if ever I have a situation that would call for cpr on one of my girls!!

As for myself I have held a chick who was suffering from wry neck/star gazing for almost 10 hours so she wouldnt waste her energy trying to stand up, she was flopping all over the place. My husband helped out with the holding and feeding (with a dropper). He got very attached and named her Hope, cause he hoped she'd make it, and she did!
big_smile.png

I also had a hen, Emma, who was attacked by a hawk and broke her hip. I rigged up a box so that I could place her in it without putting too much weight on her hips. I fed, watered and cleaned her for for 3 weeks, until she acted like she wanted to stand. Then I set up a small dog crate to limit her movement until I felt she was ready to go back with her sisters. She did end up with a limp, but lived another 2 years, healthy and happy!

That is amazing!! And even though your little one didnt make it (there was prob something wrong inside) its good to know that its even possible!!! I will always remember that if ever I have a situation that would call for cpr on one of my girls!!

As for myself I have held a chick who was suffering from wry neck/star gazing for almost 10 hours so she wouldnt waste her energy trying to stand up, she was flopping all over the place. My husband helped out with the holding and feeding (with a dropper). He got very attached and named her Hope, cause he hoped she'd make it, and she did!
big_smile.png

I also had a hen, Emma, who was attacked by a hawk and broke her hip. I rigged up a box so that I could place her in it without putting too much weight on her hips. I fed, watered and cleaned her for for 3 weeks, until she acted like she wanted to stand. Then I set up a small dog crate to limit her movement until I felt she was ready to go back with her sisters. She did end up with a limp, but lived another 2 years, healthy and happy!

That's a great happy ending STORY...

I've had several close calls with hawks and a couple of dog attacks and have had to keep chickens inside while they recuperate.

The craziest, though, was a cockatiel egg. This little egg had started to hatch and for some reason the parents kicked it out of the nest box! I tried putting it back in, but they would not accept it. I was a volunteer at my kids' elementary school at the time and didn't want to be late, so the only think I could think of was sticking the egg in my cleavage! I spent half a day in the library at the school. By the time I was finished for the day, I had a newly hatched cockatiel chick in my bra! When I went home, I snuck him into another nest box and he was cared for by those parents until I pulled him to hand feed him a couple of weeks later. That was in 1987. We kept the little guy until he died in 2009 at the ripe old age of 22!

I've had several close calls with hawks and a couple of dog attacks and have had to keep chickens inside while they recuperate.

The craziest, though, was a cockatiel egg. This little egg had started to hatch and for some reason the parents kicked it out of the nest box! I tried putting it back in, but they would not accept it. I was a volunteer at my kids' elementary school at the time and didn't want to be late, so the only think I could think of was sticking the egg in my cleavage! I spent half a day in the library at the school. By the time I was finished for the day, I had a newly hatched cockatiel chick in my bra! When I went home, I snuck him into another nest box and he was cared for by those parents until I pulled him to hand feed him a couple of weeks later. That was in 1987. We kept the little guy until he died in 2009 at the ripe old age of 22!

Lol, love it!!!
clap.gif

OMG, I have never brought my eggs to work except to ship them. LOL That's a great story. HAHAHA

Back
Top Bottom