What's the temperature where you are???

Full moon just before sunrise
I’m not able to see in first picture I had to zoom in on picture and take a screenshot

IMG_7072.jpeg

IMG_7074.png

I'm in No. Central West Virginia...it was -11 (that's not a typo, yes MINUS 11 Degrees) this morning! I hope I don't find chicken-pops when I go to feed and water this morning!
smile.png

Yesterday, the radio said Alaska was averaging 40 degrees, it was -5 here at the time! I don't like the heat, but this is CRAZY COLD!

How frozen are you guys???

67 and Sunny here in South Louisiana!

Friday 29th March 8.54a.m. Mostly blue. 7.4 / 9.3kph SE, Hg 60%, 21.2C / 70.2F heading 24C / 75F. Partly cloudy.

Moon is 88.1%

Traditional owners sound alarm over erosion of toxic waste rock wall at McArthur River Mine after floods​

The McArthur River Mine, located about 1,000 kilometres south-east of Darwin near the community of Borroloola, has been at the centre of a string of environmental scandals, several high-profile legal battles, and instances of contamination and mismanagement of toxic waste.

NT Environment Centre director Kirsty Howey said the erosion at the mine's waste rock dump suggested there were problems with the structure.

"We know this is a toxic waste rock dump, it contains masses of potentially flammable material," she said.

"We have promises from the mine that it had integrity and that it was stable and that it could and would remain in place for 1,000 years post monitoring.

"It's extremely concerning that after a rainfall event that we've already got erosion."

Mining giant Glencore, which operates the McArtuhr River Mine, largely has approval to significantly expand the mine.

But the NT's Aboriginal Areas Protection Authority has refused to approve plans for the height of the dump to be almost doubled to 140 metres, due to fears the steep sides of the dump could collapse onto adjacent sacred sites.

"If the slope isn't stable, that can be absolutely catastrophic for the nearby McArthur River because there is so much toxic material in that waste rock dump," Ms Howey said.

A sign warning 'no unauthorised entry' on a gate leading into the McArthur River mine.

"Just 40km downstream, you've got the town of Borroloola and the river runs straight through the middle of it so this could have very wide impacts and it's really important both the environment and the health of people in Borroloola are looked after."

An NT government spokesperson said staff at the McArthur River Mine would continue to undertake assessments of the "scale and extent of damage" and prioritise remediation ahead of any mining.

A McArthur River Mine spokeswoman said the mine was beginning the process of returning to normal operations.

ABC

Back
Top Bottom