What's this? (Pictures)

Im definitely not comfortable trying to drain anything before baby has a chance. I will keep an eye out for pipping of any kind, and will stick that one upright.

Candled again looking for any clues. Observed two things: the empty circle is smaller, and baby appears bigger. I know my last hatch 4/6 pipped and hatched on day 19, the last two on day 20. Is it possible this was an internal pip at a bad spot? The air cell is literally a hair away and it has not grown like the others between day 14 & 18, could that just be air that moved to the side? I know, grasping at straws. Once i can look at the inside I will know more. Come on baby!

Candled again looking for any clues. Observed two things: the empty circle is smaller, and baby appears bigger. I know my last hatch 4/6 pipped and hatched on day 19, the last two on day 20. Is it possible this was an internal pip at a bad spot? The air cell is literally a hair away and it has not grown like the others between day 14 & 18, could that just be air that moved to the side? I know, grasping at straws. Once i can look at the inside I will know more. Come on baby!

It wouldn't be an internal pip if the chick did not stick his beak into the air cell at the far end. Let me ask you something. During lockdown, the air cell "draws down" around the chick and literally doubles in size right before internal pip. Has any of the eggs started drawing down yet? Also, you will hear peeping once the chick internally pips. Today is day 19?

Today is day 19, no peeping but lots of moving. All the eggs are rocking around. The weird egg baby seems to have doubled in size from yesterday. What you're saying is that its highly unlikely to have a faulty air cell? It was a totally ungrounded thought. Just trying to make sense of it. All the eggs I glanced at have started drawing down more than my mark yesterday, and the weird egg has some growth, but not like the others, which is why I thought maybe some air developed in a different spot. This egg just has me guessing.

Well you will know soon! I think that they will hatch on day 21. Just a guess, but draw down usually takes 24 hrs, then internal pip is 12-24 hours, then external pip is another 12-24, all roughly speaking. Some bust out and others take forever! It's so hard to tell what's going on with that egg just by pictures alone. I wish I could see it in person. Lol. The air cell looks solid in the fat end from the pic, so I don't know! Keep us posted on their progress!!

It's begun! Two have pipped. Of course at the wrong end. Hope that since the eggs are pretty wide at both ends it'll be ok. Neither are my weird egg, which I laid down now. Last night it was all dark in there so I decided to lay it down. These eggs are from my mom and I am fairly certain at this point she has the weirdest chickens ever. My chicken's eggs were perfect lol

Keep an eye on those. They may hatch fine but you may have to help.

I figure I will give it 24 hrs, if its not out tomorrow morning I will help. In the last hour it has made the hole twice as big and I can see the little beak. I suppose I better get the brooder ready!

I wanted to add, weird egg was not moving this morning when I candled and then laid it down. I think it died, maybe I killed it. I don't candle this late normally so I have no idea if no movement is normal. I looked through the plastic at big hole, wrong end pip egg, the membrane is slightly yellow in one spot...normal?

It's begun! Two have pipped. Of course at the wrong end. Hope that since the eggs are pretty wide at both ends it'll be ok. Neither are my weird egg, which I laid down now. Last night it was all dark in there so I decided to lay it down. These eggs are from my mom and I am fairly certain at this point she has the weirdest chickens ever. My chicken's eggs were perfect lol

I figure I will give it 24 hrs, if its not out tomorrow morning I will help. In the last hour it has made the hole twice as big and I can see the little beak. I suppose I better get the brooder ready!

I wanted to add, weird egg was not moving this morning when I candled and then laid it down. I think it died, maybe I killed it. I don't candle this late normally so I have no idea if no movement is normal. I looked through the plastic at big hole, wrong end pip egg, the membrane is slightly yellow in one spot...normal?

Yay!! So excited for you!! I had two pip the wrong end and side in my last hatch. One hatched all my himself and the other I had to help. I waited 24 + hours and slowly started to make a zip. Are their beaks sticking out? Just keep in mind that a wrong end pip is not only the external pip but also the internal pip, so they can take a bit longer. Mine was yellowish and bloody when they pipped the wrong end. What's your humidity? Can you get a pic?

As for the other egg, did the air cell draw down? You can't kill an egg by candling late in incubation. And yes, you should see it moving along the drawn down membrane.

:fl for all 3 eggs!! You can do it!! Read this:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Back
Top Bottom