What's this? (Pictures)

This morning there were 4 more hatched, making 6. Weird egg still has no movement or pip. The others have pipped, one pipped wrong end and appeared to realize his mistake because now hhis head is in the air cell. So far no assistance needed. If weird egg might smell, maybe I will do it tomorrow, which should be 24hrs after everyone else.

You can always do a sniff test. There is a distinct rotting smell when there is something off, it's starts off faint, but still very distinct so you can catch it early. I actually sniff test all the eggs each time I candle throughout incubation. Any funky ones go straight to the trash, the stink is contagious, although it seems to be more of an issue with duck eggs than chicken eggs...

Wow, you've gotten such great advice!! What's the latest update?

Yay! I'm glad he made it alright! As for the non-mover, it's up to you, but if I haven't seen any movement in a while, I will open them but a lot of people might disagree with me on that. If you do start to open it and it is alive, just know it's a bit of a commitment because you have to make sure the membrane stays moist until it's ready to come out. I just use a q tip and carefully moisten it with bacitracin and reapply if it starts to dry...

X2

I see to it that they can breathe, and give them a full 24 hours or more before intervening.  I've even waited till the end of the hatch to assist non-progressing chicks.  As long as they can breathe in there, IMO, they'll be fine to wait, and may even benefit from waiting.  That way, you'll not have any issues with unabsorbed yolk or blood vessels.  Better a glued chick than a bleeding one.

Yes!! This is my philosophy too! I will definitely help but I feel if the chick is healthy and going to make it, then it will be fine to sit there. It has the yolk for nutrients and as long as the membrane is intact and not to much shell is missing it won't dehydrate.

x2!  Sometimes with us being a little too anxious to intervene we think we are going to help when actually we end up hurting.  IT IS HARD TO WAIT!  I know... I have an internal dialog with myself every time I hatch on whether or not I should help.  I have helped.  I believe in helping.  But I also believe that sometimes there is a reason they are not making progress.  And sometimes that reason is that their bodies are not ready.  A lot of things are happening when they are working on hatching from getting their lungs ready to absorbing yolk.  If we rush and these things are not complete we could end up with a special needs bird or worse yet, a dead chick.  If the chick is breathing, make sure your humidity is high enough to keep that membrane moist, or use something to keep it moist.

X2 Totally agree!

This morning there were 4 more hatched, making 6. Weird egg still has no movement or pip. The others have pipped, one pipped wrong end and appeared to realize his mistake because now hhis head is in the air cell. So far no assistance needed. If weird egg might smell, maybe I will do it tomorrow, which should be 24hrs after everyone else.

Once all the action dies down, you can investigate weird egg. I'm wondering if that circle is a late red ring of bacteria?? Maybe wait till all your other eggs have hatched and then open the air cell more and you will see movement under the membrane if he is alive. You're doing a great job!!

I haven't ever dealt with a complicated hatch. But then again I do not have much experience with the incubator, most of my experience is with a broody hen so I am not watching too carefully. So this is all new, but I know death happens, especially in farm type settings. I appreciate all the advice I have gotten!

Last edited:
After much debate on waiting or not, I decided to open the air cell on weird egg further just to see if I saw movement. I saw none and very thing veins. At that point I realized weird egg was dead and hatched the chick, there was very minimal bleeding. No excess fluid. One chick, sideways in the shell. When I opened it, I opened it to the belly, almost as if it got stuck moving to pip. It had been dead, the beak is pale bluish purple, the feet pale. The yolk was all different colors, blue, black, green, red, yellow. I took pictures which I will share if someone wants to see, maybe someone else can identify what happened. Now to dig a very tiny grave for a very tiny baby.

After much debate on waiting or not, I decided to open the air cell on weird egg further just to see if I saw movement. I saw none and very thing veins. At that point I realized weird egg was dead and hatched the chick, there was very minimal bleeding. No excess fluid. One chick, sideways in the shell. When I opened it, I opened it to the belly, almost as if it got stuck moving to pip. It had been dead, the beak is pale bluish purple, the feet pale. The yolk was all different colors, blue, black, green, red, yellow. I took pictures which I will share if someone wants to see, maybe someone else can identify what happened. Now to dig a very tiny grave for a very tiny baby.
*hugs* Sorry for your little one.

Aw, I'm sorry!! Yes, I'd like to see pics. It sounds like a bacterial infection in the yolk.

Dead baby below

Back
Top Bottom