whats wrong with her eggs??

hetherfeather

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 27, 2014
Hello, i recently added a new chicken (perry) to my flock of three,
and she just started laying. her first egg was a bit mushy, but I figured it was a one time thing. this morning I found this.. thing around her cage. its also completely mushy, with no shell. I did find a slimy coat wrapping around the white part of it. Is this normal?? I really need her to start laying normal eggs, I have switched her to laying feed, and given her some oyster shell grit. is their anything else i can do?

What is her history. Where did you get her, how old is she supposed to be???? The layer and extra oyster shell may help her out. If she continues to lay abnormally, you may need to cull her. It's possible that she was sold to you by the owner who knew she had laying issues.

so, we got her from a very nice farm, high quality, and clean. her run was a large field of grass, and i think this is her first time laying. she's just a bit older than the other girls, and shes a speckled sussex.

okay, so just this evening i found another mushy egg under her roosting bar. its still mushy, but the coating is more shell like instead of slime. is this progress?

I had a hen lay something similar last year, then she laid a few soft shell eggs afterwards, each one getting harder. Then she laid perfectly good eggs. She was about 2 years old so she wasn't a new layer....I just figured that she had to get a few kinks out (literally).

Back
Top Bottom