1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

whats wrong with her eggs??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hetherfeather, Jul 26, 2014.

1. hetherfeather

hetherfeather In the Brooder

Mar 27, 2014
    Hello, i recently added a new chicken (perry) to my flock of three,[​IMG]
    and she just started laying. her first egg was a bit mushy, but I figured it was a one time thing. this morning I found this.. thing around her cage. its also completely mushy, with no shell. I did find a slimy coat wrapping around the white part of it. Is this normal?? I really need her to start laying normal eggs, I have switched her to laying feed, and given her some oyster shell grit. is their anything else i can do?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road 5 Years

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    What is her history. Where did you get her, how old is she supposed to be???? The layer and extra oyster shell may help her out. If she continues to lay abnormally, you may need to cull her. It's possible that she was sold to you by the owner who knew she had laying issues.

3. hetherfeather

Mar 27, 2014
    so, we got her from a very nice farm, high quality, and clean. her run was a large field of grass, and i think this is her first time laying. she's just a bit older than the other girls, and shes a speckled sussex.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road 5 Years

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Hopefully, it's just a glitch in the conveyor belt, and she'll get things under control. It's not unusual for a new layer to lay eggs without shells, or a rubber egg.

5. hetherfeather

Mar 27, 2014
    okay, so just this evening i found another mushy egg under her roosting bar. its still mushy, but the coating is more shell like instead of slime. is this progress?

6. Realtree4

Realtree4 Chirping

Mar 18, 2014
    Ohio
    I had a hen lay something similar last year, then she laid a few soft shell eggs afterwards, each one getting harder. Then she laid perfectly good eggs. She was about 2 years old so she wasn't a new layer....I just figured that she had to get a few kinks out (literally).

7. hetherfeather

Mar 27, 2014
    good news!: perry laid a hard egg in her nesting box today! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: