What's you plan for 2024 chicks!

I'm trying to establish my main rooster's genetics in the flock:
20240104_180859-COLLAGE.jpg

Top left is him, top right him plus my hatchery quality Buff Orpington hens. Bottom left is his son and bottom right is one of his two daughters after crossing with the Orpington ladies...

This year's plan is to cross his offspring to a new group of hybrid Buff Orpington x Leghorns I brought in from a neighboring farm.
Son's possible pairings:
20240104_180228-COLLAGE.jpg

Daughters will be crossed with this rooster:
20240104_175716-COLLAGE.jpg

The result would be 1/4 Niederrheiner, 1/4 Leghorn, 1/2 Buff Orpingtons, ideally with my big rooster's bulk and feather quality but the personality of the littler guy, who is an absolute charmer. Looks wise I'm happy to see what pops out but I really like the variations of Buff/gold currently happening!

(This is assuming my usual broody or another hen will hatch for me!!)

I’ll be starting incubating in about 2 weeks. I had a good average last year so I’m going to try it again this year. I hope my Rooster is not to young he will be a year old March can anyone shed some light on this? I’ve never used a Rooster this young before any help is welcome. Thanks

I’ll be starting incubating in about 2 weeks. I had a good average last year so I’m going to try it again this year. I hope my Rooster is not to young he will be a year old March can anyone shed some light on this? I’ve never used a Rooster this young before any help is welcome. Thanks
I've got a cockerel hatched end of last April, or thereabouts, and he's already a dad. Shouldn't be a problem as long as you see him making the effort to mate.

I’m planning on buying ~10 day old silkies (paint genetics only) in April to get me started. I hatched 6 out last summer (out of 14 eggs) from this breeder so I figure some day olds will jump start my year.

Then, throughout the spring and summer I hope to hatch out some of my own (paint pen and mixed partridge/buff pen). But my mixed roo was young this year and couldn’t figure out how to mate his girls so I’m skeptical I’ll get anything out of the buffX pen 🤷🏼‍♀️

Only 4 days into 2024 and I’m already impatient for the spring!

I've got a cockerel hatched end of last April, or thereabouts, and he's already a dad. Shouldn't be a problem as long as you see him making the effort to mate.
Thanks he mates all the time no problem there I just wondered if he was develop enough to make eggs fertile.

Awhile back, @fluffycrow suggested the Ko Shamo to me. I researched and fell in love! I’d really like to acquire hatching eggs in the Spring. 🥰
View attachment 3719291
https://cs-tf.com/shamo-chicken/

Ah! Oh my gosh, that's so exciting! I'm so glad you liked them so much! Best of luck! I really want to get a pair of my own one day! As for my plans, I'll be following in your footsteps, with hopefully a LOT of serama babies. 2024 will be the year of serama here (and a month of Tsouloufati)! I'm planning my first batch for Easter!

Back
Top Bottom