What's your favorite milk cow breed?

I happen to like Jerseys. A Brown Swiss is a nice cow too. They are a little big but they are a calm gentle cow. One of the best milk cows I have ever had was a Brown Swiss Jersey cross. Another good cow to consider, if you can find one, is a Milking Shorthorn.
There's literally no milking shorthorns around here. It was near impossible to get my hands on the jersey girls I got. The Brown Swisss are actually quite common around here, but still pricy. What's the difference in milk taste in your opinion between those three?

Jersey and Jersey cross Friesian are my favourite - the milk has more protein, calcium and something about the A2 protein.. I don't remember lol. Tastes better too
I have read a ton on the A2/A2 genetics, and while I'm not 100% convinced about the science behind it, I have chosen to purchase mine with the A2/A2 genetics. I decided since goats and humans have the A2 protein it makes sense that it would be more easily digestible. Hopefully more concrete scientific evidence comes out. Does the jersey/fresnian give larger quantities like the fresnian with high butterfat like the jersey?

IF I was ever to get milk cows, I really like what I've read about the milking Devons. Historical and very hardy/ low maintenance.
I was super interested in those as well. There's literally none of that breed around here. I wonder what their milk is like?

I have read a ton on the A2/A2 genetics, and while I'm not 100% convinced about the science behind it, I have chosen to purchase mine with the A2/A2 genetics. I decided since goats and humans have the A2 protein it makes sense that it would be more easily digestible. Hopefully more concrete scientific evidence comes out. Does the jersey/fresnian give larger quantities like the fresnian with high butterfat like the jersey?
I believe so but not certain about that sorry

There have been any number of studies on goat and cow milk that show that goat milk is more digestible than cow milk. Many people, babies in particular, that cannot tolerate cow milk do very well on goat milk. These studies are old, but they are still valid. Cows vary a lot in how rich their milk is. I once had a Holstein whose milk was 7% butterfat.

There have been any number of studies on goat and cow milk that show that goat milk is more digestible than cow milk. Many people, babies in particular, that cannot tolerate cow milk do very well on goat milk. These studies are old, but they are still valid. Cows vary a lot in how rich their milk is. I once had a Holstein whose milk was 7% butterfat.
That's incredible for a Holstein! I agree that goat milk is more digestible. I believe it to be healthier as well. I love my goats!

I've always liked the Guernsey ( think that's how you spell it). My grandma had one named Bessy when I was a kid.
I wanted a Guernsey originally when I decided which family milk cow I wanted. The problem is there's literally no Guernsey's in this area. The ones I could find were ridiculously priced. Is the milk really rich, yellow, and creamy with the Guernsey?

Back
Top Bottom