Wheaten Crele Orpington Project, Reboot

Pics
My book of SOP says New Hampshires are supposed to be a Dark Chestnut Red, but the picture shows a Darkish Buff for both neck, & body.

RIRs are Supposed to be a Dark Lustrous Red.

The other person says the disqualification for RIRs is being a lighter red, that's described as being as light as Chestnut.

My book of SOP says their Disqualification is White in the plumage. Same with the New Hampshires.
If the lighter red is being described as chestnut, it doesn’t matter what the actual color of a chestnut is. There’s a lot of variety names that are misleading, such as brown red or golden salmon in marans (look it up- it’s actually a red duckwing variety).

I say Mahogany, & Chestnut are the same since both are a dark rich red that's almost black. I point to the Gene Mahogany/Red for chickens.

Other person says mahogany, & chestnut are different, & points at what's said in the book of SOP describing chestnut as lighter then mahogany.

In many other situations, I think "chestnut" is used to mean various shades of red-brown, and "mahogany" is used to mean various dark shades of brown (often not as red), although of course it's not entirely consistent.
Edit: oops, Walnut is the dark not-red, Mahogany is dark red. I mix those up more often that I'd like to admit!

Within a given book (SOP), definitely go with the definitions that are in that book.

I like to stay true to color, according to where the color got it's name from.

Luckily I have an Actual chestnut.

I believe the lighter variant should be described as Hazelnut, which would be alot more accurate.

But when I look up photos of chesnuts online, most of them are lighter than your nut. So you might have an actual chesnut that is not "chestnut" in color.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chestnut_(color)

Last edited:
If the lighter red is being described as chestnut, it doesn’t matter what the actual color of a chestnut is. There’s a lot of variety names that are misleading, such as brown red or golden salmon in marans (look it up- it’s actually a red duckwing variety).
Yep, I know about those colors. Misleading names for colors is actually pretty annoying.

In many other situations, I think "chestnut" is used to mean various shades of red-brown, and "mahogany" is used to mean various dark shades of brown (often not as red), although of course it's not entirely consistent.

Within a given book (SOP), definitely go with the definitions that are in that book.

But when I look up photos of chesnuts online, most of them are lighter than your nut. So you might have an actual chesnut that is not "chestnut" in color.

It's a chestnut, just a different variety, not sure which. I had a couple larger ones, but not sure where they went. They were slightly lighter in color then the small one, but still a deep red.

Mahogany is the Red Gene, which is one thing I've been also referring too.

Here's the peeps at 6 weeks old.
20210617_151238.jpg
20210617_151334.jpg
20210617_151538.jpg
20210617_151622.jpg

Back
Top Bottom