Wheaten Crele Orpington Project, Reboot

Pics
All the blue barred cockerels pictured are silver/gold- gold alone can’t produce that off white straw color (unless the recessive lavender gene is involved, which it isn’t in this case). The last cockerel without barring is gold/gold.
Thanks, I figured as much. I need to hatch more of this cross so that I can get some blue pullets that are gold, as well as more silvers. Wondering if breeding gold to gold as @MysteryChicken suggested will get rid of that off white color?

Thanks, I figured as much. I need to hatch more of this cross so that I can get some blue pullets that are gold, as well as more silvers. Wondering if breeding gold to gold as @MysteryChicken suggested will get rid of that off white color?
Yes, a pure gold rooster (gold/gold) will not have the straw/off white color. That’s the yellowish leakage in gold/silver splits I mentioned in my other post.

Hmmm... I could, but I actually like the sliver girls from the Dominique x Buff Orpington more than the gold.

Most of my crosses involve Production Blue hens, which are Rhode Island Red x Blue Australorp crosses.

This cockerel (Dominique x Production Blue) had the most gold leakage. I didn't like it, so I sold him. It would have been alright if it was just the darker red, but the straw yellow is what I wanted to stay away from. I'm guessing he had two gold genes, based on what I've learned from this thread.
View attachment 2723206

Here is another Dominique x Production Blue cockerel (came from a differnt hen than the first). This one had the least amount of leakage. Silver + Gold? I would have kept this one, but he was missing one wattle which I thought was odd. So I sold him also.
View attachment 2723205
Here is the one I kept (same parents as the second cockerel):
View attachment 2723224
The lighting isn't very good in this photo, but he has more leakage than the first, which can be seen more clearly in this close-up of his wing.
View attachment 2723226
That rich red is what I would rather have. I don't like the yellowish/gold color.

I seem to have succeeded in that aspect by breeding a Rhode Island Red to a Production Blue. Here is the cockerel out of that cross:
View attachment 2723237
Again, the lighting makes it hard to see, but this one does not have any "yellow" leakage. It's the perfect mahogany :) I like the colors on this cockerel, except that he isn't barred which is what I am really going for. He is Gold Gold.

I'm leaning toward breeding just the silver birds because the red isn't that important to me, and I prefer that to having yellow leakage. With that in mind, here is my best blue barred pullet (Dominique x Production Blue). No leakage at all.
View attachment 2723249
Okay, I thought you wanted more of the red to show through, but that's okay.

My Buff Orpington pullet has a nice rich/smooth Golden Buff coloration.

She has some red on her head, not sure if that would be a disqualification, or not. I'll have to read my book of SOP on Buff Orpingtons again.

Question: How long, or feasible would it be to breed new color mutations? I now this process would take intense inbreeding.

Back
Top Bottom