1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When are they old enough?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by E.M. Silkies, Sep 7, 2010.

1. E.M. Silkies

E.M. Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Georgia
    If a chicken starts laying at 6 months(give or take) when is it ok to start taking their eggs for hatching? With some chickens their eggs are smaller when they first start laying... So when are they big enough to hatch off?

2. Silkie-Feet

Silkie-Feet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    To check the fertility of an chicken egg, simply break an egg or egg(s) in a smooth bowl. You should see a white mark on the yolk. If you do not, use a spoon to flip the yolk over until you locate it.
    5[​IMG]

Fertile and Infertile Eggs
    If the egg is fertile, the white mark will be nearly perfectly round. If it is infertile, the white mark will not be very round, and in most cases, smaller than that of the fertile mark. If the egg is not fertile, the 'white mark' is called a "blastodisc". If the egg is fertile, the 'white mark' it is called a "blastoderm", and this means that cell division,because of fertilization, occurred.

Read more: How to tell if your Chicken Eggs are Fertile | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4715979_tell-chicken-eggs-fertile.html#ixzz0yscADqsz

hope it helps i didnt know so i looked it up to help both of us! PS: you cant see the dot on the infertil egg so its a oval.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2010
  3. bantyhen'sfriend

bantyhen'sfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Wisconsin
    I know some breeders won't hatch pullet eggs because the chicks can get too big for the eggshell and find it hard to hatch. But, I would start hatching as long as you are getting consistant sizes from all the girls.

4. Armageddon

Armageddon Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Southern California
    My chickens were hatched on 2/8/2010. I set some of their eggs under a broody on 8/16. They hatched 3 so far, on 9/6. [​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I like to let them lay for at least another 3 months so the size of egg will be large enough for the chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by