HorsesRMe123

Songster
Aug 1, 2020
Washington, USA
My geese are almost 10 weeks old. They are both White Chinese geese. They have their own run and coop that they have access to all day long. At night, we lock them up in their coop since they are still young and we’d be worried if something might snatch them up during the night if they had access to it. But, they also free-range only when I’m watching them. I’m not sure at what age they will be able to free-range without supervision? My main concern is an eagle, hawk, or maybe raccoon getting them? I live in a sub-urban environment. I’ve seen hawks and bald eagles in my area. Some have even circled over head, eyeing my goslings, when I let them run. So when or what age should I have no concern about this and be able to let them free-range unsupervised? I’d like them to have access to the yard for at least a few hours a day once they can go unsupervised. Please reply! Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    778.5 KB · Views: 48
It really depends on the environment and what predators you have. I’ve never had an issue with hawks, a goose is just too big and risky for most hawks. I do know eagles sometimes prey on adult geese unfortunately and raccoons can be an issue.
You said you live in a suburban area so I’m guessing you may not have coyotes? Coyotes, dogs, foxes, raccoons, lynx, and mountain lions are the main threats to geese if you’re in North America. I live in a rural area and the foxes seem more timid and less interested in being near the house or my goose pens, “residential environments can have much bolder predators because of higher competition,” but others have had issues with problem foxes, personally I haven’t had an issue yet with any of them including the local mountain lion except for coyotes. They’re the worst.

If you’re in a busy area and you haven’t seen to many predators hanging around and you don’t have raccoons loitering in your yard I think they’ll be all right during the day. The main concern would be someone’s dogs and the eagles but there are ways to deter eagles https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-protect-your-chickens-from-eagles.66171/

It really depends on the environment and what predators you have. I’ve never had an issue with hawks, a goose is just too big and risky for most hawks. I do know eagles sometimes prey on adult geese unfortunately and raccoons can be an issue.
You said you live in a suburban area so I’m guessing you may not have coyotes? Coyotes, dogs, foxes, raccoons, lynx, and mountain lions are the main threats to geese if you’re in North America. I live in a rural area and the foxes seem more timid and less interested in being near the house or my goose pens, “residential environments can have much bolder predators because of higher competition,” but others have had issues with problem foxes, personally I haven’t had an issue yet with any of them including the local mountain lion except for coyotes. They’re the worst.

If you’re in a busy area and you haven’t seen to many predators hanging around and you don’t have raccoons loitering in your yard I think they’ll be all right during the day. The main concern would be someone’s dogs and the eagles but there are ways to deter eagles https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-protect-your-chickens-from-eagles.66171/
Thanks for the help! I’m not as worried now. The article really helped as well. I think it helps that I have two geese rather than one so they can be a little more intimidating if they need to be. Thank you for the helpful advice and information!

Thanks for the help! I’m not as worried now. The article really helped as well. I think it helps that I have two geese rather than one so they can be a little more intimidating if they need to be. Thank you for the helpful advice and information!
Glad to help! I’ve heard playing a radio low outside can keep foxes away, maybe it could work on raccoons too?

Back
Top Bottom