When can I put my ducks outside?

DryCreekFarm

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 5, 2012
Burleson, Tx
Hi all! I am new to having ducks and geese here on Dry Creek Farm.I have 6 Rouen ducklings, 4 weeks old, and 1 Indian Runner duckling who is 5 weeks old. The Indian Runner came free with my 5 week old gosling as they are best buds. I have read that the ducklings should not be placed outside until they are feathered, but the weather is warm and they adore it when I let them out. They protest loudly when I bring them in. Is it safe? Also, when can Mr. Indian Runner go outside safely? Thanks.
smile.png

I have month old runners. I'm going to start taking my ducks out for pen time this week, and then hopefully next week they will be permanent residents in their coop. They've been out, here and there, for the past week for swims in their preform pond...and our run is almost complete.

I'm holding out one more week for more feathering and better temperatures. We'll see.

One of my Rouens is being slow to feather and the temps have been really sucky around here. They are 5/6 weeks old and I would love for them to be outside at least during the day. We need to finish our fencing and that wont get done for a couple more weeks so mine wont be out full time until they are 8/9 weeks. The next group should be able to go out quicker because summer will be a lot closer by the time they have feathers and the weather will (should) be a lot better. For now its just a few hours of playtime when the weather is good. Not nearly enough for my taste though.

Back
Top Bottom