When can these kids enjoy their coop??

LilHitzel

Chirping
May 10, 2023
AC0F6618-505D-4989-8B2F-766CBB0A876F.jpeg

My oldest are 5 weeks, my youngest are 4 weeks. They don’t seem to be using the brooder heat plate at all anymore, not even at night. When can these goofs go out to their new coop? They’re getting very bored and stuffy.

They are probably ready now if they don't need heat at night. Are you integrating with an existing flock or are they your first? If there is already a flock, just make sure you introduce them gradually and do a "see but don't touch" period, separating the young and old chickens with some fencing.

If you don't have an existing flock, you can probably do it now, weather permitting. Just be prepared to put them in the coop the first few nights. They won't know where to go and you might find them in some weird places lol.

They are probably ready now if they don't need heat at night. Are you integrating with an existing flock or are they your first? If there is already a flock, just make sure you introduce them gradually and do a "see but don't touch" period, separating the young and old chickens with some fencing.

If you don't have an existing flock, you can probably do it now, weather permitting. Just be prepared to put them in the coop the first few nights. They won't know where to go and you might find them in some weird places lol.
This is my first ever flock :)

This is my first ever flock :)
Should be good then! :) Just go out at dusk and guide them toward the coop, place them on the roost, etc. They will get the hang of it but it may take a little. Make sure you count everyone to make sure they made it in.

Good luck and congrats on your first flock!

I put mine out at 4 weeks with a heater and they huddle under the light at night .We have cool nights.They're 5 1/2 weeks old now.I sectioned off one end of the predator proof run for the chicks so they can transition slowly.They won't fully accept the chicks until the start laying anyway.

Where do you live? What kind of weather are you talking about? The answer might vary if you are talking about -29 C (-20 F) nighttime low as compared to a 10 C (50 F) low. I hate to make assumptions about things like this.

If your nighttime lows are in the 10 C (50 f) range you should be good to go as long as your coop has decent ventilation and can keep winds off of them.

Back
Top Bottom