When do Buff Orpingtons start laying?

I have 5 BO's. Two started laying at 28 weeks, and that was mid November (no extra lighting either), the other three followed within the next two weeks. It did seem like it took forever to happen, but when it finally did they started right off laying perfect eggs. A little small in the beginning but have gotten bigger over time. Nice hard shells and they lay regularly. I am so glad that I chose BO's, first time chicken owner and they have just been great! These are the first two eggs I got, the bigger brown one is store bought for comparison.

some of the girls :eek:)

Hi Gldnrose,

Great looking hens there. Your eggs look like ours did, and ours have been slowly getting bigger too.

I notice you have some sort of covering around your pen. Can I ask what you did there, and if it's for the weather, or noise control? Do you have it around the entire pen?

Hi Gldnrose,

Great looking hens there. Your eggs look like ours did, and ours have been slowly getting bigger too.

I notice you have some sort of covering around your pen. Can I ask what you did there, and if it's for the weather, or noise control? Do you have it around the entire pen?

Hi, Yes I have clear (opaque really) plastic, lets the light in better than the blue tarps, around the run. We did it for the weather, it will come down for nice weather. Although, we are going to keep the roof covered, more protection from the rain. My husband and I basically wrapped the whole run in plastic (the entire run, including under the coop, is wrapped in hardware cloth), trouble is the minute we stepped into the run it immediately felt like a green house, lol, so we "cut" windows out on both sides. You can see in the picture (hopefully you can see it well, not being a close up photo). Also my coop is raised so I put hay bales around there to block wind and snow. Only problem with the plastic is I cant look out my window and see the girls, unless they are on the coop porch. I will be happy when the plastic can come down, but I will do it every year. I think it really helped block the snow and wind. They were out everyday even in the negative temps.

Each one left me a present today. Two in one next box, three in another. I have four boxes but everyone wants to use the one someone else is using, lol

We have 5 BOs, born at the beginning of April 2013, so they're about 44 weeks. We just got our first egg yesterday! They're strictly supervised when they're out of their coop because we have neighboring dogs who would love a snack, so I know they didn't lay anywhere else.
I was beginning to believe they were all secretly roos and just got along REALLY well.

We have two BO's hatched May 10th, 2013. The 1st one started laying after new year's and the other one still hasn't laid.

She's consistent and her eggs are larger than the BA and EE.

We have 5 BOs, born at the beginning of April 2013, so they're about 44 weeks. We just got our first egg yesterday! They're strictly supervised when they're out of their coop because we have neighboring dogs who would love a snack, so I know they didn't lay anywhere else.
I was beginning to believe they were all secretly roos and just got along REALLY well.

Wow, I thought waiting 28 weeks was torture. Congrats on 1st egg.
highfive.gif

I have 4 hens (2 of which are Buff Orpingtons) and I got my very first egg ever yesterday!! So proud of Buffy, my Buff Orpington. She is 19 weeks old. :)

I have 4 hens (2 of which are Buff Orpingtons) and I got my very first egg ever yesterday!! So proud of Buffy, my Buff Orpington. She is 19 weeks old. :)

I have a Buffy. My Buffy is brooding right now. I hadn't intended on letting my little flock to rais babies but now I'm going with it. She's 13months old. She comes out briefly to eat and drink and goes back. My other 2 hens are laying but one isn't laying every day. I don't know what that's all about. They all seem healthy.

My 4 Buffs are around 20-23 weeks or so. Got the from the feed store so not sure how old they were. I'm finding one egg daily from the 4 (that's the only one I'm finding) and the egg is a very small one. My Reds are laying nice large brown eggs but the blondes are small. The finally started doing the squat in front of me but before that they would run. They also fly out of my pen so I'm going to have to do something about a top.

My buffs are 24 weeks and not laying yet. I have 3 RIR hens the same age and one of them just layed first egg yesterday. Another brown egg in laying box right now but older hens lined up and laying so I haven't retrieved it yet. It appears another RIR layed today. Yeah. Now just one more RIR to lay, two buffs, and two black sex links. The sign will soon be posted. Eggs 4 sale.

My buffs are 24 weeks and not laying yet. I have 3 RIR hens the same age and one of them just layed first egg yesterday. Another brown egg in laying box right now but older hens lined up and laying so I haven't retrieved it yet. It appears another RIR layed today. Yeah. Now just one more RIR to lay, two buffs, and two black sex links. The sign will soon be posted. Eggs 4 sale.

Back
Top Bottom