When do Buff Orpingtons start laying?

Well at least one of my buffs started laying yesterday. Praise the Lord. All RIR's are laying now and just waiting on Black Sex Links to start. I put a trail cam in the coop above the laying boxes to better track the layers until they are all laying.

I am anxiously waiting for my Buff Orpington's to lay! I go out and check several times a day. I saw one of them sitting in the corner of the coop kind of behind where the nesting boxes were, but as soon as she saw me she got up and ran but no egg. They have all gotten redder combs in the past couple of weeks so I am hoping any day now! They are 28 weeks old tomorrow. My Rhode Island reds are a month older and have been laying for about 7 weeks now.

If they are sitting on the nest then it will be soon that they start to lay. Their eggs will be a bit lighter in color then the RIR's. Mine have just started to molt so they have slowed down a bit but they were consistent egg layers up to that point. Soon I will be adding light to the coop because I don't like feeding chickens that aren't laying and I have become an egg snob and will not buy mass produced eggs. They don't taste as good anyway.

I spied the largest Buff pacing in front of the nesting boxes this morning. I hope she decides to hope in and lay me an egg! She's been hanging out around the nesting boxes for the last couple of days so I am hoping it will be any day now! I am wondering though if the cooler weather and shorter days will affect when they will start laying.

Yes the light will affect the laying cycle. I started putting 24 hour light in my coop last year and they laid eggs like clockwork regardless of the temp. Then I only had them slow down if they were molting. I have a new coop this year so I have to figure out how to get a light in it.

Wow, I thought waiting 28 weeks was torture. Congrats on 1st egg.
highfive.gif

Sorry, I just saw this.
We contemplated chicken soup a lot during those 44 weeks. Still have the same 5 BO's, and have consistently gotten 3-5 eggs a day since they started laying. I am contemplating more BO's next year, my husband thinks I've lost it but they're so sweet and once they started laying, they have been champs.

I spied the largest Buff pacing in front of the nesting boxes this morning. I hope she decides to hope in and lay me an egg! She's been hanging out around the nesting boxes for the last couple of days so I am hoping it will be any day now! I am wondering though if the cooler weather and shorter days will affect when they will start laying.
Sounds like she will be laying soon. My BO's started in November last year and laid straight through winter, shorter days and all, which I believe is common for their first year. This being their second year, and I am not supplementing lighting and they are molting too, they are taking a break. I miss my eggs
hit.gif
lol

Sorry, I just saw this.
We contemplated chicken soup a lot during those 44 weeks. Still have the same 5 BO's, and have consistently gotten 3-5 eggs a day since they started laying. I am contemplating more BO's next year, my husband thinks I've lost it but they're so sweet and once they started laying, they have been champs.
My girls are great layers too. They are taking a break right now, I don't do supplemental lighting. I look forward to when they start back up again. I love the Orptingtons, will definitely have more in the future but may also venture into different breeds also. We shall see.

My orps are not buff they are bbs 75 english orps... They started laying around the first week of October I got 4 eggs total that week one was 4 days after the first 3 (2 In in one day then one next day) then nothing since? I put a light up last day I saw an egg bout 3 weeks ago? I wormed them few days ago? No mites? What is with that? Any ideas?they have oyster shell they are on layer feed?

One of my buffs is laying now. I got 5 eggs last week! I hope the other three start laying soon! They are all from the same batch and are all going to be 30 weeks tomorrow.

I am so excited. We bought our first chicks last Thurday. We have 8 Buff Orpingtons. They are precious! I am new to this site, as well. Thank you for sharing such great information. I want my chicks to be as healthy as possible. It is so wonderful to read what others are saying and asking.

This article was so interesting. I was already wondering about eggs. LOL. Remember, I'm new to this. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom