When do Silkies tend to begin laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ADozenGirlz, Jan 14, 2010.

1. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    I have one white bantam Silkie, Freida, who was hatched in July this year. All of her hatch-mates began laying in December, 2009 around 5 mos old, but she has not begun laying yet. I'm interested in hearing from Silkie owners as to when, in their experience, Silkies tend to begin to lay. Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I have an 8 month old silkie hen who has never laid an egg [​IMG] And I think it will be even longer because I don't add light and none of her silkie sisters are laying right now either [​IMG]

3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Could be anywhere from 3-5 months to over a year. Better quality birds tend to take longer.

4. Joyryder

Joyryder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Scandia, PA
    Quote:Are you sure its not a cross dressed roo?

5. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut

No, my dear friend, THIS IS our cross-dressing ROO!!! We named her "Betty" and then she had the audacity to begin crowing in December. Go figure! FYI: We still call her Betty. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. jaboo81

jaboo81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2009
    New Braunfels TX
    Now that is funny:lol:

7. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Our neigbors don't think so. [​IMG] Sadly, Betty is being adopted out tomorrow, but we'll be getting one of his daughters in the future. Small consolation.

8. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:[​IMG] A YEAR [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] NO please don't say that. I want babies.

9. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas

I am sure! [​IMG] She is a she, I have no doubts about that. My roo breeds her *if* he can catch her, just no eggs yet.

10. janie's silkies

janie's silkies Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2009
    :My silkies started laying around 6 months, however after several months of laying they are molting .Ihave heard this can take a month or two. They have stopped laying and it has been very cold here in lex. ky. Today is the first nice day so I chased them out of the hen house for some sunshine in my garden.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by