When do Silkies tend to begin laying?

ADozenGirlz

The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png
10 Years
Oct 18, 2009
Connecticut
I have one white bantam Silkie, Freida, who was hatched in July this year. All of her hatch-mates began laying in December, 2009 around 5 mos old, but she has not begun laying yet. I'm interested in hearing from Silkie owners as to when, in their experience, Silkies tend to begin to lay. Thanks!

43104_10-19-09_13_wks_14.jpg

I have an 8 month old silkie hen who has never laid an egg
hmm.png
And I think it will be even longer because I don't add light and none of her silkie sisters are laying right now either
rant.gif

Quote:
Are you sure its not a cross dressed roo?

No, my dear friend, THIS IS our cross-dressing ROO!!! We named her "Betty" and then she had the audacity to begin crowing in December. Go figure! FYI: We still call her Betty.
smile.png

43104_12-22-09_betty_rooster_18wks.jpg

Quote:
Our neigbors don't think so.
hmm.png
Sadly, Betty is being adopted out tomorrow, but we'll be getting one of his daughters in the future. Small consolation.

Quote:
Are you sure its not a cross dressed roo?

I am sure!
smile.png
She is a she, I have no doubts about that. My roo breeds her *if* he can catch her, just no eggs yet.

:My silkies started laying around 6 months, however after several months of laying they are molting .Ihave heard this can take a month or two. They have stopped laying and it has been very cold here in lex. ky. Today is the first nice day so I chased them out of the hen house for some sunshine in my garden.

Back
Top Bottom