When do you put chicks outside?

When do you put chicks outside

• Total voters
I enjoy reading about how everyone does it, didn't vote as I haven't done chicks YET. I have my 1st broody with 8 eggs and this will be my first chicks. They will hatch in the nesting box she chose, then I will move them all down to the coop floor to a nest in a secured area so they can all stay together for about 1-2 weeks and then open it up and let mama decide when to venture out with them.

Is this ok, all you with experience chime in? I am on the fence of securing them into a spot on the coop floor-main concern being that I don't want any of the larger birds (brahmas) to land on them when getting down from roosting or something OR falling out the coop door and me not finding them in time. My plan is just a place the length of the coop (6 ft) by about 2.5 ft-and covered so no one can perch and poop :gig
I havent done a broody but whrn i do i plan to seperate her away from the big hens and possibly have 2 of the nicest banties with her. She is a silkie and can barely protect herself so i am not taking any chances but if you hen is large fowl or is better on the pecking order shr should be fine with the whole flock

She is a Leghorn, small but a standard and top of the flock. I am hoping she will be good. I didn't want to move her until they start to hatch. We don't have an extra coop but the one we have now is big enough for 15 and we have 7 and the run is big enough for 25. ;)
Oh if she's alpha girl you should be fine. She'll protect them good

I am planning on getting some chicks sometime and keeping them in till about 2-3 weeks then my broody can do the rest. She will adopt 3 mouth olds so they'll be good with her. I will be separating her from the flock with the rest of the bantams permanently and the chicks will be those bantams.

I usually have them be able to have some time outside ever since they're day olds but It depends on the weather. I have a little $50 coop and run that I have them live once they're 5-6 weeks old, until they are old enough to brave the grown up chickens pecking order.
Ya I breed them for 4 to 6 weeks inside and then I moved them to their grow out coop till they are 20 weeks or big enough to be with the adults. My adults can be kind of brutal LOL

Back
Top Bottom