When do you put chicks outside?

When do you put chicks outside

• Total voters
Call an ace an ace and spade a spade… its life. Dont get me wrong i will cry just as much as the next person. Dont let the 6’2 310 lb country boy fool ya.

But im not a softie / coddle type. This generation behind me was so sheltered and “safe space” / dont discipline minded / everything is rainbows and sparkles. Hate to tell them the world aint perfect and therr in for a rude of awakening later in life

My chicks go straight from the feed store into the outside brooder. I'm all about making it as low effort for me as possible + faster integration with the rest of the flock. Last batch of chicks voluntarily roosted in the coop with the adults by 4 weeks. I don't find it makes any difference in their friendliness having them inside or out, but I'm sure a lot more sane not having to smell them and clean up after them.

I enjoy reading about how everyone does it, didn't vote as I haven't done chicks YET. I have my 1st broody with 8 eggs and this will be my first chicks. They will hatch in the nesting box she chose, then I will move them all down to the coop floor to a nest in a secured area so they can all stay together for about 1-2 weeks and then open it up and let mama decide when to venture out with them.

Is this ok, all you with experience chime in? I am on the fence of securing them into a spot on the coop floor-main concern being that I don't want any of the larger birds (brahmas) to land on them when getting down from roosting or something OR falling out the coop door and me not finding them in time. My plan is just a place the length of the coop (6 ft) by about 2.5 ft-and covered so no one can perch and poop :gig

I have my chicks in a brooder inside as I got them shipped as day old chicks. Now at 2 1/2 weeks still inside. I'm waiting for more feathers to come in and less reliant on heat. Days are fine temps, but it does get into 60ish during the night. They will go to an outside see but don't touch run around 4 weeks. After a few weeks when they can't get through the chain link, I will open the door to the little run which is inside the chain link run. Still see but don't touch. Hopefully, late August They will be fully integrated.

I must say the way people in the site feel about their chooks is the opposite of this philosophy you have. It's fine really, but just be nice to those of us who feel differently.
Also not sure what u mean by that, but i have raised thousands of birds easily. They all were well taken care of. Im in the south… a open air / fully open pen concept works great here. The chickens have it made. Moms raise there biddys, when i do incubate they are not allowed to be bullied.

I have no problem culling . I have people been buying birds from me for years. Last thing i want is bad / mean roo genetics or poor hen behavior, i will also pull chicks from mom if she not doin her job

Back
Top Bottom