When does a breeder become a hatchery?

Chick Mills, that is exactly what I was thinking......so hatchery has to me the conotation of large scale, not show quality. A breeder to me is as you described MP, one who works with a small number of breeds working hard to improve the line.

Can someone with 36 types really be producing excellent quality lines if they are a backyard breeder? To me that number seems to indicate a numbers/makeabuck game as opposed to producing quality.

On the subject of Chick Mills, where do the big hatcheries rate? What do you suspose happens to all the little cockerels from the sexed egg laying breeds where only pullets are sold?

Quote:
Yep, that bothers me. I say this alot, I wish Roos laid too or at least didn't fight so some of us with room could keep more of them. I know what happens to them at the hatcheries.
hit.gif
But at least folks aren't paying a fortune, thinking they are getting "breeder/show quality stock". I don't have answers, this is honestly a question.

A breeder, most likely, takes great pride in the few breeds they specialize in. These chickens are looked after closely and are of better health and conform to the standard more so than birds from a large hatchery whom is merely in business to make money.

I have a few breeds I plan to sell eggs from and raise chicks to sell. Anyone else on here that does the same thing will understand this is DEFINITELY not for the money. I travel hundreds of miles (and spend hundreds in gas:) to get the perfect birds. I then blow more loot building them the most lovely accomodations....and so on and so on. My birds that I will sell will be selected AFTER I pick the best ones that will stay in my breeding program to improve my lines.

This is the biggest difference. Small operations, more or less (there are always bad apples:( plan to improve their stock over time while hatheries only care if the birds moderately conform to the standard. If it kinda looks like that breed, then they can sell it as that breed. Some breeders sell pet quality birds and are up front about this. Production birds, for instance, can be bred for different reasons than conforming to the APA standards. They are still breeding for things that are important to their flock...egg producing or meat etc. That is entirely different.

Hope this helps

edited to add: I believe a breeder becomes a hatchery when improving their birds is less of a concern and the profitability is more so. I think a "hatchery" can still run without all these certifications and licenses. A hatchery may just consist of 15 breeds in someone's backyard. They may even call themself a breeder. It saddens me to hear people talk about buying hathery birds to raise and sell to buyers whom, most likely, believe they are buying better quality simply because they are not buying from a "hatchery." It is a fine line but notably different when considering what motivates the operation. One more thing
roll.png
don't want to knock all hatcheries. There is supply to fill everyone's demand. Things I look for may not be important to someone else.

Last edited:
Quote:
Eewwww
In the county where I live, Animal Control would be in there and would seize everything and fine them.

No one has really answered my question about the big hatcheries being the worst offenders as Chick Mills. What do they do with the excess cockerels? Is this not making $$ at ther expense of innocent chicks?

Are the regulations to be a hatchery Federal or State? Do I need a license to sell my chicks or eggs? So far I have given away hundreds of dozens of eggs, and a few birds but have never sold anything. I know different states have different requirments.

you'd have to check with your local agricultural dept. maybe start with the extension service, then they'll direct you. I don't think you have to have any permits...well, I don't know so you should ask someone with more knowledge of the issue
smile.png

and geareduplyn, your name suits you
lol.png
Im sure they are slaughtered for dog food or something and yes, this IS making money at the chicks expense
roll.png
....hence why big hatcheries exsist...

saying that, dogs need to eat too and chickens are a part of our and their food chain. I eat chicken. As long as they are humanely treated, I have no problem with that.

Last edited:
Geareduplyn, I've heard they are ground up and fed back to the chickens. I guess there are all kinds of horror stories out there and some of them true, but I couldn't say as I've never been employed at one. I've also seen footage of some being gassed and tossed in the garbage.
idunno.gif
It's not pretty, no matter how you look at it.

Jody

Back
Top Bottom