when is it too much? when is it too little?

aquagolda

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 27, 2013
New Jersey
hi all,
I have 5 small flocks, I have 5 old hens turning 7 and still doing great I have 6 hens that's are a little over a year old and then I have 2 chickens turning 1 year in November. next I have 1, 15 week old chicken then I got 4, 8 week old chicks all in one coop and 3 chicks in the stall. also last but not least 11 guinea hens that run wild and roam wherever, whenever they want so in total I have 31 chickens including the guinea hens and lots of breeds! so my question is how much do I need to feed them? my coop holds 18 chickens so I feed daily crumble, cracked corn sometimes tomatoes sometimes thing that are starting to go bad in the garden such as squash and zucchini and sometimes cucumbers ok its a lot but my question is how much feed do they need?
I take my chickens to show every year and I take about 3-4 so I choose the best ones and this year (my fair was last weekend) I found out the judges had commented on another of a 4-h members chicken saying it was overweight and it did well but that was the only flaw so it got me thinking am I feeding too much? I feed my chickens crumble and cracked corn and fill it up to the top in my 5 gallon feeder and sometimes I mix in bird seed or sunflower seed. which I know is all good for them but can my chickens become over weight? and if so how can I stop/prevent this? what is your tricks when coming to feeding time? I feed them snacks such as watermelon will that make them over weight? if I keep feeding what I usually feed will it eventually make them over weight? or am I all wrong and its too little? I can post some pictures if needed by the way!

thanks anybody who helps and has any suggestions!

-aqua

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
I just have normal, store-bought food out for my chickens 24/7. They can eat as much as they want, I also give them some healthy treats every now and then but mainly keep them on their commercial food since it has perfectly balanced nutrients and all. Just make sure your chickens have a lot of space to run around and they should stay healthy without their food needing to be regulated.

Back
Top Bottom