When Pets Attack

I think the hand raised animals can be more danger. Two reason people trust them more, and they have no fear of human.

Have seen parrot bond with a person to the point, they will attack someone to protect their owner(or their mate as they see it)

So true, I've seen too many people get way too comfortable with their animals, horses especially. You will see two bonded horses groom and love on one another for years but every so often one asserts its athority. A simple bite to a horse means lost fingers etc to a human and the horse doesn't realize that... we may think we have the upper hand, that we're the boss, but all it takes is one time for them to decide to try us and if we arn't paying attention or are putting ourself in a sensitive position we're hurting big time...

The only animal I could ever trust 100% no question at all is my Great Pyraese. I would be shocked stupid if he ever did anything to harm any of our family in any way... but stranger hings have happened...

Quote:
We have 3 parrots, and one is bonded to me the other to my wife. Neither of us can handle the others parrot even though when they were young we both handled them both. Certain breeds or types of animals have different rules.

Chimps are known to be violent killers in the wild and kill for every reason that humans kill for; jealousy, rage, fear, and for the fun of it. They are never never never pet material. I have never liked rodents for pets even though I had hamsters as pets as a child. Little buggers will bite for no apparent reason.

All types of pets are capable of violence but some are just prone to it in time. Not a matter of if, just when. But then some animals are very good pets, dogs do bite, but they do save lives also, protect, and even assist the disabled. As far as wolves I have raised them my whole life they are more dependable and socially structured than most large breeds of dogs. But they must be trained properly and respected. I also have owned snakes but only the smaller snakes.

Even monkeys serve a purpose as service pets for disabled but not chimps to large to strong to prone to violence. For the most part monkeys are not good pets. The owner of the chimp obviously has some issues that should be addressed by a mental health care professional.

Agree the Chimps, do kill for reason given, even their own young.
This lady had this chimp, like it was her son, or what ever. Hard to say what made him attack, heck it could be jealousy.

Even some type of dogs dont make pets that can be trust.

Most pitbull dont bite, but when they do they are the worse. Not because the way they were raised, but because the breed was bred with the locking jaw, and the fight till death.

Now I know most are fine, but lots of people have been harm by them. Very hard to stop a pit attack, other breeds a good kick can stop an attack.

Even an attack by a wolf would be easy compare to the pit.

Have had many animals, alway respect them for what the are.

Never fail people are surprize when they happen, remember a few year back about the white tiger attack.

I am a strong advocate against people having wild exotic pets. For one thing if you have the money anyone can buy a wild animal, from a elephant to a anteater. You can buy them from a liscensed dealer. Wild animals that have been raised by humans are the most dangerous. No matter how much you be loving they can attack. People having chimps is nothing new. A lot of people have them as a child replacement. A chimp is probably the closest to a human child. The one thing you have to remember is chimps are violent in the wild. In the wild they hunt live prey ie smaller monkeys and fawns and the such, they fight and they wage war. Chimps are very close to human nature. Travis was way to heavy for a chimp. In the wild males usually probably top out at 100 pounds or so. He had no contact with his own kind. A lot of chimps end up in primate sanctuaries when they get to the adolescent age. In actuallity gorillas are far more docile than chimps! There is a species of chimps called the bonobo which are opposite of the common afician chimp, their nature in the wild is more loving and passive than the regular chimps. In the wild chimps are in danger of poaching and habitat loss. I only hope someday they will outlaw having large dangerous exotics. There are way to many domesticated animals out there that need homes.

Quote:
Chimps and monkeys should never be pets, their nature is just not pet nature. The only exception would be working monkeys for the handicap. A lot of pets are more stable if they have a job (go figure), or purpose. As for all wild animals it depends on the animal. Every breed of pet is derived from a wild animal. Some wild animals have a better nature to human contact than actual pet breeds. Wolves being one of them, there are few attacks form wolves as pets, much less then some pet breeds. Their social structure makes them excellent pets and working dogs. Their loyalty and willingness to give their life for their owner cannot be matched.

OTOH some breeds of chickens can be dangerous and can not just be fenced in like a dog or a wolf. A free ranging 12# to 13# Shamo could tear a adult up let alone a child. Pet macaws (recognized and accepted pet) attacks are more common than wolf attacks as pets. Several times burglars have lost fingers and suffered severed damage to face and upper torso by large macaws. And they will strike out because of just jealousy. I owned a cockatoo that could not be kept in a cage, of a night we could hear the wrought iron welds breaking of a night. Though this cockatoo was very gentle he killed his mate when a breeder convinced me to let him mate to his female.

All animals need to be treated with respect for what they are, and certain animals should never be owned. But I do not agree with blanket statements. Most people should not have a bull for a pet but it is not a wild animal. No offense just my opinion...
wink.png

BTW people with mental health issues should not own dangerous animals, they have a hard enough time taking care of themselves. This woman clearly had issues, I feel for her friend...

Chimps are the equivalent of a feral, unsocialized 200 lb. human with Hulk strength. Those extra-long arms give them more leverage and more power when they fight, and their fangs do a lot more damage than a human's teeth.

Could you fight off a 200 lb. human whose punches were 2-3X harder than Mike Tyson's and with the same fighting spirit (i.e., he'll bite yer ear off if he gets half a chance) and the attitude of a teenager? Oh, but he's a sweetie-pie! What if you've just taken away his favorite toy, or won't give him his raisin treats? I know I couldn't, and I've got actual animal handling training and a couple of big dogs.

At least if a little capuchin monkey (the kind that are trained for quadriplegics as helpers) goes nuts, it can inflict some bites and scratches, but there's little chance of it actually killing someone or inflicting very serious injury. You can grab a capuchin monkey in one hand and subdue it if needed. How are you going to subdue a chimp that outweighs you?

Look at Siegfried and Roy--they worked with wild animals for decades without a single incident, and then just like that, out of nowhere, a white tiger goes nuts and nearly killed Roy. You just cannot predict when a non-domesticated critter will lose it, even people with tons of experience and training cannot. Chimps need to stay in structured groups with other chimps in sanctuaries and zoos with facilities to handle them if they're not going to be kept in their actual habitat.

Quote:
Domesticated animals, also can be a great danger also. My point was Know the danger of the animals you have.
Yes some non-domesticated can be pets. If no one had try ,
we would not have the many pets today.Parakeets,peafowls,turkeys,chickens,even the dogs all were wild at one time.

I posted on another site.
Having a full grown male chimpanzee is like having a linebacker sized autistic child...there is no impulse control and he's strong enough to do harm without realizing it.
The woman who was attacked had NO eyes, is missing part of her jawbone and her nose!
A full grown male chimp can be 150+ pounds. Travis was 200. They can be almost 5 feet tall...
The Bonobos are pygmy chimpanzees. They're different attitude wise which is why they're found in labs alot. They're easier going.

I work at a petshop. I have been bitten by ferrets, dwarf hamsters, rats, mice, one gerbil, tiger barbs, my own darned Betta, a Ball Python and was attempted to be eaten by a Leukocystic milk snake. Anything can and will attack if it feels threatened, it's sick, it's mating season, it got out of the wrong side of it's happy hut...it's an ANIMAL! It doesn't NEED a reason.

Here's a link to an article from Scientific American:
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=why-would-a-chimpanzee-at

Quote:
Well yeah, but humans have technology and opposable thumbs that give us an advantage over those critters. Humans can outrun many "wild" versions of domesticated animals, at least when it comes to endurance if not sprinting. We have far fewer advantages over chimps, who also have opposable thumbs and can run as fast and as long as us. Wolves and smaller felines originally started hanging out with us because we are better hunters than them, we have a technology advantage. Humans are cleverer than most hoofed critters, so we find it easy (just as our ancestors found it easy) to drive them into a small area. My dogs, as adults, will outweigh me considerably--yet should they go bonkers for some reason, I have the Power Of The Prong Collar and various techniques from our trainer to get them back under control.

I don't think you could convince even Cesar Millan to try taming a wolf, though.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom