when should hens start laying again after molting

My Welsummer is the worst layer of all the ones I have.  And she was broody and hatched chicks in the spring so spent most of the year out of commission!  hahaha  She was a good mom, though and we love her.  Just got my 2 Barred Rock eggs of the day....really wish the EE's would get back in the game!!!!  I know how to butcher now...so if they don't produce they can go in the freezer with the boys!  hahaha
I'm getting 1-2 a day out of 10 chickens! I hope they get their act together soon!! I don't have them tho just to lay! I just love their company! Is that weird?? ;-)

Oh that could be the problem??? But you need to do what you need to do! You live in Ireland? Always wanted to visit! I have family there! My mom and brother just visited there! Beautiful country!
yeah irelands nice if it didnt rain so much :) you should visit in the summer time its can be really nice in summer

Hi, sorry to hear about the attached on your hens, but I lock my hens up in the coop at night. I actually have latches on the doors (2) that at night I go up (or my husband does) and latch securely the coop doors. If something does get into the run area they can't get into the coop to my hens.
By the way I was letting my hens free range and one was attached by a Hawk and almost carried away, it was a little touch'n'go with her for about 2 weeks and then she finally started moving around again and looking better. They had started molting about that same time and all my hens stopped laying and haven't started up again yet. It might have been the combination of the "scare" and the molting that caused them to stop laying for so long.

Hi, sorry to hear about the attached on your hens, but I lock my hens up in the coop at night. I actually have latches on the doors (2) that at night I go up (or my husband does) and latch securely the coop doors. If something does get into the run area they can't get into the coop to my hens.
By the way I was letting my hens free range and one was attached by a Hawk and almost carried away, it was a little touch'n'go with her for about 2 weeks and then she finally started moving around again and looking better. They had started molting about that same time and all my hens stopped laying and haven't started up again yet. It might have been the combination of the "scare" and the molting that caused them to stop laying for so long.
yeah thanks i most catch this mink then secure my coop befor i think theyll lay :(

All my hens are laying again! The last one (welsummer) started up about a week ago. They are trying to tell us spring is coming (even though they are sick of being in 4 ft of snow!!!) Hope you all are having the same luck!

I have 10 hens and they have been laying now for about 3 weeks, getting 2, 4,6 eggs but yesterday I got 10 :)

This
All my hens are laying again!  The last one (welsummer) started up about a week ago.  They are trying to tell us spring is coming (even though they are sick of being in 4 ft of snow!!!)  Hope you all are having the same luck!
this winter has been brutalllllll...so excited for spring!!! Yesterday I got 10/10!!

Mine are all just about laying again now but guess what, there were 2 orphan hens that I got out of the woods that a neighbor moved off and just left them (started with 4 and 2 were all that's left when I got them). I had the 2 orphans in a 4'x4' cage in the run area to keep them quarantined and separated from the rest of my flock. Had them there for about 2 weeks and finally decided last Saturday to let them out with the rest. Went fairly well 1 was meek and she just blended in with the rest, the other was a little "hellion" she was fighting everyone, I split up several fights. But she finally stopped (was a little bloody but not bad) they separated themselves and kinda laid low the rest of the day. Well when it came time to roost they didn't want to go into the coop with the rest they went back to the cage. Well stupid stupid me I left the case doors open so that in the morning they could already be out when we come and let the others out........something got into the run area and got the little meek one :( there apparently was a hole or the coon just made a hole in the wire at the top closed to the middle post, came down the post got the hen and drug her back up the pole and out through the hole in the wire.............I could kick myself for not closing up the cage. Here I was saving them from the woods and thought I was putting them in a protected environment and one of them got killed. I'm sick!!!

Last edited:
Mine are all just about laying again now but guess what, there were 2 orphan hens that I got out of the woods that a neighbor moved off and just left them (started with 4 and 2 were all that's left when I got them). I had the 2 orphans in a 4'x4' cage in the run area to keep them quarantined and separated from the rest of my flock.  Had them there for about 2 weeks and finally decided last Saturday to let them out with the rest.  Went fairly well 1 was meek and she just blended in with the rest, the other was a little "hellion" she was fighting everyone, I split up several fights.  But she finally stopped (was a little bloody but not bad) they separated themselves and kinda laid low the rest of the day.  Well when it came time to roost they didn't want to go into the coop with the rest they went back to the cage.  Well stupid stupid me I left the case doors open so that in the morning they could already be out when we come and let the others out........something got into the run area and got the little meek one :(  there apparently was a hole or the coon just made a hole in the wire at the top closed to the middle post, came down the post got the hen and drug her back up the pole and out through the hole in the wire.............I could kick myself for not closing up the cage.  Here I was saving them from the woods and thought I was putting them in a protected environment and one of them got killed.  I'm sick!!!
Awwww I'm sooooo sorry! Things happen but I know id be would be the same way! Now you'll know to be more careful...it's a good reminder for all of us! Xo

Back
Top Bottom