when should my chickens start laying?

LisaKring

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 21, 2013
Elkhart, IN
I am brand new to chickens and just got my first Cinnamon Queens on Sunday. I am not quite sure how old they are (will be going back to the farm store to find out if they know approximately, my guess is a week or so). I am wondering at about what age I should expect them to start laying? Does anyone out there have experience with CQ's? Thanks!

Most production breeds start somewhere between 5 to 6 months. 6 months being the general rule. (My Wyandottes I got from Privett Hatchery started at 5 1/2 months)
Heritage breeds that are breed quality can start much later depending on the chickens lineage and breed. Like 8 months or longer. Most do start sometime in their first year.

Note that there are individuals that can start much much later than a year as I have read where some had hens that were late bloomers at 22 months or longer.

Thanks! That is what I was thinking. Can't really find a lot about them online so figured I would post here and see if anyone has any experience with this breed.

I don't know that much on the Cinnamon Stars, however, I do have 2 Gold Stars which are a hybrid production breed. These girls started right at the 6 month mark and are my most reliable layers of the whole flock right know. One is a morning layer and the other is a afternoon layer.

Yours will probably be at the 6 month mark.

Back
Top Bottom