When should you start to feed chikens layer feed,is it before they lay eggs or after they start?

Apr 17, 2022
Denmark
I have 5 girls and a rooster who is all between 14 and 16 weeks old. A Easter egger,2 topped hens and 2 copper marans.

but I was wondering because black copper marans are known to be a late layer so should they still start layer feed when the other ones does and can the rooster eat it?

When should I start to give them layer feed,is it before or after they lay their first egg?

Last question when should I expect them to start and how do I see if they are ready
I have added to pictures of my chickens so can anyone tell me if they are getting ready to lay bc 2 of my chickens(one of my topped and one copper maran) are bending when I lightly press them down,is that a sign?

The first picture is my copper maran and the second is my topped A6D1A3E8-CE05-4EC9-AC81-F6494158C0B7.jpeg A60AEAF4-8EBF-4EBB-86F3-ED7340CE9917.jpeg

If you are feeding chick starter, continue to do so until after all of your pullets have begun to lay. You do not need to ever feed layer feed if you choose. Feeding an all-flock feed such as Purina flock Raiser is what many of us do who have mixed flocks consisting of chicks, roosters and post-laying hens, as well as layers. Oyster shell on the side free choice will suffice to meet calcium needs.

To determine if your pullets are close to point of lay, measure the space between the pelvic points, the two hard knobs located on each side of the vent. When two fingers fit between them, be on the alert for the first eggs.

I agree with the above post. Layer feed is more of a long term solution to keep the calcium up in the chicken. They start with plenty of calcium to lay, but over time can use up their store.
I don't think either bird is real close. The wattles and comb will get cherry red, and a bit swollen. When that happens, you are about a month out. If they squat for you, you are about 2 weeks.

Mrs K

I agree with the above post. Layer feed is more of a long term solution to keep the calcium up in the chicken. They start with plenty of calcium to lay, but over time can use up their store.
I don't think either bird is real close. The wattles and comb will get cherry red, and a bit swollen. When that happens, you are about a month out. If they squat for you, you are about 2 weeks.

Mrs K
Thank you for yours answer it is now much later and I have started giving them a layer feed that roosters also can eat.all of them except one are laying😊

Back
Top Bottom