When to euthanize duck suffering from recurring bumblefoot -worried about quality of life

I dealt with a particularly stubborn case of bumblefoot that took 2.5 - 3 months of off and on healing. At first it got better, then the infection would surge again. At first I started with treating myself, then took to the vet and just do basic removal, soak and SMZ antibiotics. It got a little better but then didn't fully heal, so did another removal. After this, the vet sent the infection to get tested. Found out one one or two particular antibiotics would work in treating.

So started treating with those antibiotics and soaking, but the infection attached to the bone by the time the tests came in. So had to do another surgery, started to do the foam pool noodle foot pads included with the daily soaks and vet wrap, and 2 weeks later, it was healed! The pool noodle pads helped keep the wound dry and cushioned it so she wasn't stepping on hard surfaces and aggravating the area.

The whole process was frustrating and draining, but worth it because she's back to her happy self. From now on, pool noodles will always be included with the treatment plan. And after a first failed attempt of treating, sending the sample out to test.

I have duck insurance with Nationwide which is worth every penny. It helps pay for all this. There is a cap limit though that renews every year.

Thanks. I know this was 5 years ago, but it’s helping me. I think we’re putting Theo down in the next couple days. Infection is in her leg now after two months of antibiotics injections and all the other things. I read once it’s bad it’s very hard for them to completely heal, and it makes me feel less guilty about my decision to know other people have had the same experience.
Good for you for having your duck’s best interest in mind. Sometimes the best thing we can do for our animals is the hardest thing for us.

I posted on our local animals and livestock site, and a wonderful woman who is a vet tech came and took my ailing duck and is healing her. The infection was beyond me, but she’s got all kinds of skills and veterinary connections. And I couldn’t be more grateful. So my darling duck has a new home with other gimpy chickens that she’s healed and she’s very happy.

Sad, final update:

After showing some initial improvement after her 3rd round of treatment, our duck started to deteriorate again a couple of days ago. Her limp started to worsen, and the abscess had refilled with pus. We made the tough decision to put her down today rather than subject her to a 4th intervention, given that the treatments were painful and very stressful for her. Sigh. I feel pretty crummy even though I know there really wasn't much else to do for her.

Has anyone successfully treated an aggressive case of duck bumblefoot to the point where the bird healed completely, or do most cases just recur until the bird is incapacitated? I feel like we tried everything (isolation, bandages and daily cleaning, penicillin injections, surgery, irrigation, ointment packing) but maybe it was too far gone?
We just had our precious rescue Pekin, Maud, put down yesterday. She was 2, and we have been battling bumblefoot for the past year. Maud was attacked by a hawk as a duckling which left her with 1 leg shorter (and rotated). She carried all her weight on her short leg, which resulted in chronic bumblefoot. (The constant pressure on that foot created pressure sores that turned into bumblefoot.) The vet warned that, based on her legs, her bumblefoot/pressure sores would be chronic, that she would develop arthritis. She mentioned we might need yo consider euthanasia in the future.

Over the past year she had multiple surgeries, countless rounds of antibiotics (up to 14 pills pushed down her throat each day), months of isolation, special shoes, and around 25 days (not all at once) as an inpatient.

Unfortunately, she was never bumblefoot free for more than 3 weeks or so. When she developed this last round of bumblefoot, I finally said "enough torture for one animal." We loved her dearly, but true love means doing what's best for her, not what's best for us.

Back
Top Bottom