When to stop rotating jumbo coturnix eggs?

Torghn

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 22, 2011
Everything I read says to stop on day 14; however the hobby farm I bought them from says to keep rotating them until day 16-18 with a hatch out on on days 21-25. I'm inclined to go with their recommendation given that they've hatched many of these it just seems odd that it's so different then everything else I've read.

Quote:
Jumbo Coturnix will hatch day 16-18. If you don't stop turning them by day 14-15 they will hatch anyway. If they are in a turner, they may get hurt.

I have had them hatch at day 15 when I forgot to take them out of the turner.
Expect hatch anytime after stopping the turning. But normally day 17-18.

If you follow their directions, WATCH YOUR BATOR REAL CLOSE. Cause they must have been thinking of a different gamebird.

Good luck well good luck to your babies if you follow those directions.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, I was so surprised by their recommendation that I emailed them to double check. Here is their reply:

"I'm glad everything is going ok so far! I have had the most successful hatches turning for 16-18 days with a hatchout on days 21-25. My button quail hatch sooner, as do my smaller coturnix breeds, and I stop turning them sooner. The jumbo browns seem to take a bit longer because the eggs and the birds are closer to the size of a bobwhite.

Let me know how things turn out!"

That information is incorrect. They hatch on day 18, sometimes a few days early. Is he talking about bobwhites taking that long? And the size should not mater...

Your Source Is Clearly Mistaken Or MiSinformed... The Directions Are Wrong. For Coturnix (jumbo Brown, Pigmy Brown, Or Other Sizes And Colors) Turn Thru Day 14, Then Early Day 15 Stop Turning And Lock Down. Coturnix Are Supposed To Hatch 16-18 Days. Not 21-24 Which Would Be Incubation Times For Bob Whites Or Chukar Partridge... Not Coturnix Or Buttons. But Hey If It Makes You Feel More Comfortable Do A Web Search For Coturnix Quail Incubation Times And See Proper Times Listed All Over The World Wide Web. As For Your Original Source I Would Use Extreme Caution With Them Or Any Advice They Offered

Last edited:
glad this came up!!!! I have some at 16 days, I didn't realize they could hatch today, I thought it was 18 and after.....

Here are the eggs:

77655_img_0953.jpg

77655_img_0954.jpg

Back
Top Bottom