When will my Chicken start laying egg????

Kbinkley679

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2018
You finally got chickens!! You’ve watched them grow from fluffy little chicks to beautiful large hens!

One day you wake up and look at the calendar and realize....its time!!! Its time for my girls to start laying!! You’re so excited, you have been waiting for this day for months! You run out to the nesting box....nothing! You check ten times a day for the next two weeks and still NOTHING! You’re beginning to think you will never get eggs and that your hens are defective. Why arent they laying? They are at the age when they are supposed to start! You ask yourself “What’s wrong with them?” “Did I do something wrong?” “Are they not eating the right food?”

This is what happened to me...i asked myself all those questions.....then finally one day I had an egg! A beautiful brown teeny tiny egg! I didnt care that it was small...it was an egg, my very first egg!! I was so excited I made a big deal about it, called everyone in my family, took pictures and posted about it on social media!!! Ive been waiting for this day for months and I wanted everyone to see it!! I was so proud of my first egg!!!

There are some signs that Hens show before they start laying. These signs can appear a few weeks before or just a few days before the first egg.

One main sign is “squatting”. This is what your Hen will do when you bend down to pet her. She will go into a squatting position, as hens do when the Rooster is ready to mate. I noticed this behavior a week before I got my first egg.

A3813A07-3A89-44DC-B7AB-7A657BA4C959.jpeg 553C5279-8B2B-4133-9F55-2B93B9950BF9.jpeg

Another sign that I noticed was her Waddles and Comb were larger and had become bright red. Take note to the pictures. The first picture is of one of my girls who has been laying and the second picture is one who has yet to lay any eggs. Check out the difference in the size of the waddles and combs.

5A9D4AC5-C6E8-4A54-AED8-22A031D95892.jpeg 56A44DF4-890C-4D3E-AA8F-7030A596D485.jpeg

Remember that these are not the only signs! Some people say that their hens sing the “Egg Laying Song”, Im not sure if I’ve ever heard any of my girls do this, but thats because they are noisy all the time!

If you see your Hens showing any of these signs, your eggs should be coming soon! For the first few weeks i was only getting eggs every 2-3 days, then after that I was getting eggs everyday! You also have to take into consideration the breed. Some breeds can start laying as early as 16 weeks and some can take up to 6 months or even longer to lay their first egg.

Remember, if you happen to see your Hen in a nesting box, let her be! Dont stand there and stare at her. That can cause stress and stress will delay the laying process. Come back a few hours later when she is gone and check for eggs. Do not try and stimulate them to lay eggs as this can cause harm to the hen.

You first few eggs will be on the smaller side. Once they are laying for a while the eggs will get larger in size and if your lucky, you may even get some with double yolks!

The biggest thing to remember when raising Chickens to lay eggs is BE PATIENT and let nature take its course!

DF4DBE7B-942E-432C-8776-3E4E5A559686.jpeg A431A3E6-7E35-484E-AD8C-E56CCE324023.jpeg

You finally got chickens!! You’ve watched them grow from fluffy little chicks to beautiful large hens!

One day you wake up and look at the calendar and realize....its time!!! Its time for my girls to start laying!! You’re so excited, you have been waiting for this day for months! You run out to the nesting box....nothing! You check ten times a day for the next two weeks and still NOTHING! You’re beginning to think you will never get eggs and that your hens are defective. Why arent they laying? They are at the age when they are supposed to start! You ask yourself “What’s wrong with them?” “Did I do something wrong?” “Are they not eating the right food?”

This is what happened to me...i asked myself all those questions.....then finally one day I had an egg! A beautiful brown teeny tiny egg! I didnt care that it was small...it was an egg, my very first egg!! I was so excited I made a big deal about it, called everyone in my family, took pictures and posted about it on social media!!! Ive been waiting for this day for months and I wanted everyone to see it!! I was so proud of my first egg!!!

There are some signs that Hens show before they start laying. These signs can appear a few weeks before or just a few days before the first egg.

One main sign is “squatting”. This is what your Hen will do when you bend down to pet her. She will go into a squatting position, as hens do when the Rooster is ready to mate. I noticed this behavior a week before I got my first egg.

View attachment 1505008 View attachment 1505009

Another sign that I noticed was her Waddles and Comb were larger and had become bright red. Take note to the pictures. The first picture is of one of my girls who has been laying and the second picture is one who has yet to lay any eggs. Check out the difference in the size of the waddles and combs.

View attachment 1505015 View attachment 1505016

Remember that these are not the only signs! Some people say that their hens sing the “Egg Laying Song”, Im not sure if I’ve ever heard any of my girls do this, but thats because they are noisy all the time!

If you see your Hens showing any of these signs, your eggs should be coming soon! For the first few weeks i was only getting eggs every 2-3 days, then after that I was getting eggs everyday! You also have to take into consideration the breed. Some breeds can start laying as early as 16 weeks and some can take up to 6 months or even longer to lay their first egg.

Remember, if you happen to see your Hen in a nesting box, let her be! Dont stand there and stare at her. That can cause stress and stress will delay the laying process. Come back a few hours later when she is gone and check for eggs. Do not try and stimulate them to lay eggs as this can cause harm to the hen.

You first few eggs will be on the smaller side. Once they are laying for a while the eggs will get larger in size and if your lucky, you may even get some with double yolks!

The biggest thing to remember when raising Chickens to lay eggs is BE PATIENT and let nature take its course!

View attachment 1505054 View attachment 1505055
Welcome to BYC! You did good waiting and watching your girls. I was so impaitient with mine.

I'm very impatient. Two of mine (23 weeks old) have had a beautiful red comb and waddles for a month now and one has been squatting for at least two weeks. The other about a week. They are getting equal attention from Hank.
Any day now. . .

View attachment 1505008 View attachment 1505009

View attachment 1505015 View attachment 1505016

View attachment 1505054 View attachment 1505055

"For the first few weeks i was only getting eggs every 2-3 days, then after that I was getting eggs everyday! " -- This is what I needed to hear!! I found my first 2 eggs Sunday and have been checking daily for more and so far nothing! I heard them singing the egg laying song so maybe today is the day. :fl

When will my Chicken start laying egg????

I'm a new owner myself and what I've already found out in answer to that question is they will start laying when they are darn good and ready to and not a day before. All my pullets are supposedly the same age and I got them at 16 weeks. I have Rhode Island Reds and one of them started laying at 23 weeks and another one two weeks later which brings me up to last week and now a couple of times I've found 3 eggs in the box so the 4th one isn't laying yet at all yet.

Back
Top Bottom