When will my chickens start roosting?

Interesting, both my purchased, raised by me chicks, and my feral raised by momma chicks started roosting at the same age: 4 weeks.
I have a ladder roost, that may have something to do with it.
The birds that I got at an older age, 3 pullets and the white cockerel, never made it to the highest roost, which is not pictured here. All 4 of them were raised without a roost until 3+ months.
20180925_200233.jpg
20180522_125317.jpg

Ditto Dat^^^
....and they are going to poop all over that heater ;)
They already have haha I have decided to take the overwhelming opinion and reserve the heaters usage for those few weeks in December-January when it gets its coldest here. I have left it off for the roosting practicum over the last two nights and all is good.

i found that if my chicks couldn't see because it was too dark inside coop when they went to bed they would not get up on the roost. when i turned my flashlight on to check on them, they hopped up there. I also added a poop hammock later on and it threw them off their game, so when it was dark there were a few that huddled on the bottom. Now they are used to the change and they roost on their own before it gets too dark. They are all 8 weeks old and have been roosting for a while now.

Mine roosted at around 4 weeks, they huddled on the same thin roost (mostly), and usually ended up pushing each other off for several minutes, it was so cute. Once I moved them to the big coop, they didn't roost immediately and I would have to place them on the roost after dark. After a couple days, they finally roosted by themselves... I agree with the others, they were warm enough huddling on the branch, and, they won't even touch each other anymore - they are 25 weeks!

That's exactly what my current turkens did when I opened up a wall for ventilation and put up mesh (predator protection) without putting up screening/shade to make them feel safe. If you cover that opening with shade cloth I promise they'll feel safe and use the roost bar in front of the opening. This is what I was talking about in my previous response.

Back
Top Bottom