1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When will my chicks hatch

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BaileyBoy, Feb 9, 2014.

1. BaileyBoy

BaileyBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2014
    My Chick has been chirping in its shell for the entire day so far. It is the 21st day so they are due to hatch. Does this chirping mean he/she is pipping. Also I don't see any moving like rolling around or shaking in the eggs. So what is this?

2. BaileyBoy

BaileyBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2014
    Sorry to double post but also my incubators humidity is slowly dropping humidity. right now it is at 68%. I am worried if I open it to add water, the humidity will drop to like 50% for about an hour until it goes back up. what do you think i should do?

3. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

I am no expert but you could add water with a straw thru the vent hole, 68% is still good. Sometimes it takes up to 24hrs. to hatch. Be patient. I did my first hatch last year it's nerve racking.

4. Tubbys Lil Farm

Tubbys Lil Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2012
    N. Idaho
    I believe if you can hear the chirping, one of your eggs has pipped internally. I too am no eggspert, but last year when i hatched for the first time this is what I experienced. It was not until about 18 hours later that I had my first external (through the shell) pip.

Keep us posted.

RO

5. FVRM

FVRM Chillin' With My Peeps

DON'T open it. when the chick hatches it will add moisture to the incubator. My chicks were chirping for an entire day before they broke out of the shells.

6. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    If you hear chirping it has indeed pipped internally, it may take a day to pip the external shell and then another day to start zipping... This is a crucial time for your chick so be patient!! [​IMG]

I snake a straw through the cord hole in my incubator into a small water dish, at this point if there is no external pips you are safe to quickly open the bator to add water and set up a straw system...But have everything ready so your not opening and closing.. Its when they externally pip that you don't want to open the lid as it could shrink wrap the chick.

7. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    If the chick hasn't externally pipped she is safe to add water if she needs... Although 68 is a good humidity and will of course increase as you said when the chick hatches..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by