When your rooster molts.....

WestKnollAmy

The Crazy Chicken Lady
Apr 22, 2008
upstate SC
do you notice a drop in fertility?

I am not sure if it is because I am not setting as many eggs at the time or if my guys just do not lose any fertility during their molt. Because they do not always molt at the same time as my breeder hens, I have not noticed anything different.

The hens stop laying during molt so do the roos lose any sperm count?

That's a good question, and I would like to know as well. They may lose sperm count, but mine sure don't lose "the urge".
lol.png
The other thing would be, do the hens lose fertility during a molt, and how would you know if it's the roo's fault or the hen's?

I got this little bit from ask the vet site for you..hope it helps Kathy

It does not effect the fertility of the rooster however because he is putting much of his energy into growing new feathers he may not be as active with his hens for a few weeks.

Quote:
The must lose fertility during molt because most won't even lay eggs. I am sure if she does lay and the roo has bred her then the egg would hatch but I have have had very few hens lay while molting. And all those were in my free range egg selling flock. No hatching from them so I haven't a clue.
My breeder hens always stop laying during molt and the roos will breed them some but not as much. I figure they are not putting out the pheromones needed to attract a mate during molt but the roo knows her well enough to continue to tell her she is his. Beasties!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom