Where’s the money!? Chicks? Eggs? Pullets?

Our business plan is to own five chickens that we LOVE. Seriously these our our kids. Our real kids hate us but it's okay because we have our chickens. They're all silkies and I've got to admit they are pretty cute. Wonderful animals. We keep them for their eggs but we also use them for calendar photos. One word of advice is to get yourself some nice chickens that can be used for both eggs and photography ;)

How do I tease out how much food the turkeys are eating vs. the chickens vs. the guinea fowl when they all run in the same pen for part of the season?
I guess you'd have to keep separate pens and feed bins if you wanted to winnow it down to species. I used to do that when I raised chicks separately until pullets were POL, now I integrate chicks at 4wks so don't bother. Overall it 'adds' up annually.
I was more accentuating the keeping track of stuff other than feed, which I didn't the first couple years, when I started keeping track of everything it was eye opening.

I guess you'd have to keep separate pens and feed bins if you wanted to winnow it down to species. I used to do that when I raised chicks separately until pullets were POL, now I integrate chicks at 4wks so don't bother. Overall it 'adds' up annually.
I was more accentuating the keeping track of stuff other than feed, which I didn't the first couple years, when I started keeping track of everything it was eye opening.
The only things I don't track is electric, water, and my time (although I know there's a LOT of the later invested!!!!!)

I don't think hobbyists stand much of a chance of turning a profit raising poultry, but I do think you can help support your hobby. Location and market demand is the key. In my area, too many people already sell eggs and common breeds. One woman sells eggs for $3 a dozen and chicks for $2 each. She turns no profit and undercuts everyone around her. It's hard to compete with that.

As far as Ayam Cemanis...emus, alpacas, ostriches anyone? Ayam Cemanis are expensive to buy into but the chicks are hard to move at high prices. They're nowhere near $100 a pair or $50/dozen for hatching eggs, at least here. The lines are GFF, TMA, FLF and every hatch has a high percentage of chicks with color faults that must be culled. I love them, but don't see them as any more of a money maker than any other type of chicken. Jmho. I do plan to breed some, but I don't expect to make money from them. I just like them.

I agree about ducks and guineas being more sustainable. A lot of people ask me for keets. However, they only ask once. A lot of people who get guineas later want to be rid of them, lol.

I keep seeing all of these outrageous prices for the Ayam Cemanis but this guy here has them going to 10 a pop. All black, look good. Maybe no one around here likes 'em, but it's a wonder.

Yep. They're definitely cool, but in my area they cost about the same as Marans. In fact, Marans might be harder to find.

Yeah, I feel lucky to have picked my trio of Golden Cuckoo Marans for $36. Lady is getting out of the hobby and I snapped these up. Will have to work on them some as the hens are laying light eggs. Plan is to cross them with some BCM to get the egg color back up.

I have no help for you in this department, I don't keep track of how much I've invested compared to what I get back. However, I sell my eggs for $3/dozen here, which is on the lower end of what they go for. In fact, if someone gets two dozen at a time, I sell both for $5. That being said, there are others around here that sell theirs for $5 or more per dozen. I'm just venturing into the meat chickens now, will be doing the first big butcher in about six weeks. The CornishX meat sells for $3-$5/pound, according to local sellers. I think I will be starting this years off at $3/pound, see how it goes. HOWEVER, I invested ALOT more money into my coop, run, supplies, and food than I will likely ever get back out of it. For the meat birds, I just bought an electric plucker, and am feeding them much more food than my standards eat. I do not sell my eggs for hatching as I have a backyard mix. Money wise - I will definitely not be retiring on chickening income. But they sure are fun!!!

The only things I don't track is electric, water, and my time (although I know there's a LOT of the later invested!!!!!)
Yeah, me neither, tho I did track water heater the first winter(~$3/mo).....and didn't/don't include include coop/run build costs, or the new incubator- that's the 'hobby' part.

Back
Top Bottom