where do you stand on roosters fighting?

If it is continuous, i think one would have to go! It's in the best interest of the rooster. I wouldn't want to see them get hurt!!!

well i have 2 roosters and they bloody each other up sometimes when i add new hens so i know they are fighting for the ladies.i also know if i add the last rooster i ever keeping a rhode island red hybrid. it should stop once the pecking order has been establised. a trio keeps the hens from being mounted to much and from fighting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have wild roosters around here...We were driving down the road one day and two of them were fighting...I broke them up, because one was bleeding heavily and it was obvious neither of them were going to give up.
he.gif

To answer your question, I usually let ours just settle it. If I saw one getting hurt seriously I would seperate them, but it's usually not very bad. One gets a but whooping and the other becomes head rooster. Seldom anything serious in our flocks.

My flock has multiple roosters. Carl is still the dominant rooster, with a couple of "second lieutenants" and then the rooster pecking order continues downward from there. There has only been ONE actual skirmish beyond the raised hackles and dancing at each other scenario.... and even it was bloodless. It lasted about five minutes, was full of sound and fury and some feathers flying, and Carl remained the Champion. Nobody has tried that since.

So I don't intervene in the little square-off challenges of the young roos.

It sort of like to boys in a 'fight'. So long as they only use the fist and nothing else, let um at it. But if one loses mama gets into and starts to make threats to the mama of the other one. Soooo, let the boys have at so long as one don't pick up a stick, and keep mama out of it. Nature can work these things out. I would want the winner to father my chicks. The stronger of the two is always best.

I think it's like dogs and kids, too. They need to settle a certain amount of these things on their own. If the level of aggression and physical harm gets to a certain point, though, then you need to step in.

Back
Top Bottom