where do you stand on roosters fighting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lordofchickens 86, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Lordofchickens 86

Lordofchickens 86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    The Burg FL
    i mean normally i just let it go till the end unless one is going to get badly injured. they all have to live together.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2011
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have never seen any real fighting in my flock...just normal peck order business. Things are settled quickly with one roo the obvious underling. No one is ever hurt seriously.

3. KarenP

KarenP Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    If it is continuous, i think one would have to go! It's in the best interest of the rooster. I wouldn't want to see them get hurt!!!

4. Lordofchickens 86

Lordofchickens 86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    The Burg FL
    well i have 2 roosters and they bloody each other up sometimes when i add new hens so i know they are fighting for the ladies.i also know if i add the last rooster i ever keeping a rhode island red hybrid. it should stop once the pecking order has been establised. a trio keeps the hens from being mounted to much and from fighting.

5. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    I have wild roosters around here...We were driving down the road one day and two of them were fighting...I broke them up, because one was bleeding heavily and it was obvious neither of them were going to give up.[​IMG]

6. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

To answer your question, I usually let ours just settle it. If I saw one getting hurt seriously I would seperate them, but it's usually not very bad. One gets a but whooping and the other becomes head rooster. Seldom anything serious in our flocks.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My flock has multiple roosters. Carl is still the dominant rooster, with a couple of "second lieutenants" and then the rooster pecking order continues downward from there. There has only been ONE actual skirmish beyond the raised hackles and dancing at each other scenario.... and even it was bloodless. It lasted about five minutes, was full of sound and fury and some feathers flying, and Carl remained the Champion. Nobody has tried that since.

So I don't intervene in the little square-off challenges of the young roos.

8. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    It sort of like to boys in a 'fight'. So long as they only use the fist and nothing else, let um at it. But if one loses mama gets into and starts to make threats to the mama of the other one. Soooo, let the boys have at so long as one don't pick up a stick, and keep mama out of it. Nature can work these things out. I would want the winner to father my chicks. The stronger of the two is always best.

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I think it's like dogs and kids, too. They need to settle a certain amount of these things on their own. If the level of aggression and physical harm gets to a certain point, though, then you need to step in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by