Which 'All Male' chick assortment should I get?

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Songster
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
Rogue Valley, S. Oregon
Has anyone gotten one?

I want to add a few more pullets next spring, and have been thinking of filling the rest of my order with chickens I don't plan to keep for long. My family and I have several times now proccessed some of our own birds and, though it is not fun, I feel more justified in my omnivorous ways because of it. Nearly all of my chickens are dual purpose chosen for temperment and appearance. All our prior freezer campers were surplus roos or pullets tragically killed by a stupid dog (waste not, want not, as they say) so they were all breeds we wanted to have around. The freedom to order chickens who won't be contributing to the gene pool is new and exciting! I am an avid crafter, so the feathers are as important to me as the meat. I have been practicing skinning the chickens to better preserve the feathers, and am getting pretty good, though all I currently have to show for it is a barred rock pelt. This assortment could set me up with all the feathers I need for years! I want a variety of lovely feathers- the more colors, the better.

So I was looking at McMurray's assortments and found several different variety packs that end up being about $1/cockeral chick chosen at random. (super duper, all heavy, collection cockerals, fly tiers special, and maybe even the special assorted-even though its straight run) Has anyone gotten one of these? My housemates are inclined to go with the heavy assortment because its more meat, but then there are the other options...

So which would you pick for the best balance of pretty feathers and tasty birds?

If you have previously ordered one (even from another hatchery!) what did you get?
Really the only things that would disapoint me is: no variety, too many black ones, turkens, or too many light breeds.

If they had a broiler special, that's what I would do.

BUT, I'd go for the "heavy" assortment, it can include RIR or Barred Plymouth Rocks, both of which are dual-purpose breeds. You may get some male sex-links in there which is a cross between the two. The feathers should vary a bit which will give you pretty feathers and while they may take longer to grow, should give some meat.

If I was after feathers I would get Ideals Assorted Long Tails

asstlong.jpg

For meat, Ideals Assorted Cornish

AsstCorn.jpg

For both, maybe Ideals Assorted Brahmas

AsstBrah.jpg

Id go all cochin... Nice meaty and pretty birds. Im eventually going to raise only Cochin and Cochin Crosses... Once I get the other traits from my other birds into cochin... Im going to introduce the selected genes into my pure cochin flocks.
big_smile.png

Love that Giant meaty Bird!

Just have to laugh at Ideal's assortment illustration collages. . . . No hatchery will ever have Buff Cornish as shown, nor Cubalaya as shown. It's like their supposed "Madagascar Game," hahah.

Anyway, the Cornish assortments are pretty good, also Murray McMurray has a frypan assortment which, according to the illustrations, consists of Asils (
lol.png
again ) which are very meaty birds.

Thanks everyone!

texascowboy1979: I appreciate the suggestion but (please don't hate me!) I don't think I like Cochins. My freebie chick I got with my last order is a cochin. Maybe he's an anomaly, but I really dislike him. After all the great things I have heard about the breed, I thought I'd love him, but he is my least favorite chicken ever. So skittish and whiney. I am sure yours are lovely though!

rebelcowboysnb: Thanks much! I looked at the assortments Ideal offers and was pleasantly surprised to find you can order any number you want of random chicks. I could order 5 from each! AND they have the breeds I am looking to get (including some I have been wanting but aren't carried by the only hatchery I have ordered from before)
Have you ordered from them? Their order page said something I find confusing, could you clarify?

"BOXING CHARGE: Add $1.00 service charge for each variety or sex of less than one-fourth box."

Does this mean I will be charged for all the varieties I order? I want to get a few different breeds of pullet in addition to the boys. Will I be charged $1 for each breed I add to my order, or only if I have them marked? Does anyone know?

Quote:
All those pictures that all the hatcherys use come from the same artist. They all pay a royalty to use them. Becouse they are the artistic idea of perfection. They also use lots of breeders an don't have there own breeding stock so the quality of each breed at any given time or hatchery varys by the way the breeder breeds his birds.

I dont remember how many is a forth of a box but for every breed that you get less than that they charge you a $1 small order fee. I think if you get them sexed its $1 small order fee for each sex of each breed. Its been a few years since I ordered from anyone but I usually use them. Maybe someone that has ordered this year can help ya more.

They call 1/4 box 25 chicks.
So does that mean if I order 4 EEs, 4 speckled sussex, 4 barnevelders, 4 polish, 4 welsummers, 4 buff orpingtons, and a marans, they would charge me an extra $7 on top of the chicken prices and shipping costs, even though I ordered 25 chicks? That doesn't seem fair.

Back
Top Bottom