Which breed that you don't have do you wish you did and why?

cupman

Songster
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
Portland, OR
I am trying to learn about breeds of chickens I may have never heard of or seen before. This thread is just to kind of swap information and talk about breeds. My intention was to have it be common or semi-common breeds, ones that we can actually go out and buy without getting on a huge wait list or paying $500/pair but all breeds are welcome, just a focus point perhaps. I'll begin:

As far as common chickens go I really wish I had bought a few speckled sussex to go along with my flock. The reason being I just think they have a beautiful appearance and from what I've heard sussex are very well mannered birds. I also like that they are very apt to cold weather and will often times lay continuously even in the shorter days.

If I were to wish for a rare breed I think I would like to get the ganoi chicken. It's a Vietnamese bird and it's kind of rare, I've seen it on ebay for around $150-200 for 6-8 fertile hatching eggs. Why? that's a good question. They are pretty gnarly, and the roosters have been known to be aggressive. They were a popular breed for cockfighting but that's awful. I'd like to get a flock of hens and just raise my big ugly birds in a separate coop out back. They aren't attractive, they don't look good to eat, I don't know what it is but I just kind of like them.

Ganoi chicken: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-yhHXnnKx-...-anh-ca--GA-NOI-BARIA-VUNG-TAU-1289564543.jpg

I really want a Welsummer. One of mine was supposed to be a Welsummer, but she turned out to be an EE instead. I want those dark, speckled eggs! Until I read your post, I'd never heard of a ganoi chicken!
hu.gif

I would really like a couple standard lavender orphs. I just think the orphs in general are really nice looking birds but unfortunately I have no more coop space. Maybe next spring...

What a fun thread! I have silkies/showgirls and BLRWs. If I could add another breed I think it would be either:

Large Fowl Sumatras- I just love the roos! They are stunning and I think really interesting with their extra spurs and flowing tails. I also LOVE black birds with a nice green sheen. I also think it would be a cool to have a really active breed since wyandottes and silkies are so docile and calm.

OR....

Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks-I think they are stunning birds. I love the friendly, outgoing, and fun personality of the rocks. They are also a great dual purpose breed that is cold hardy.

I've always wanted some orpingtons, unfortunately I can't find many places that sell them in Australia. Jersey Giants, Silver or Coronation sussex and gold laced wyandottes are also on my list
smile.png

I want cream legbars but at 300 a pair that wont happen. I thought I had 2 brown leghorns but the feed store made a mistake and they are speckled sussex. I had been wanting some but I also wanted some white egg layers. I have 2 leghorn eggs in the incubator that my neighbor gave me but my luck the will both be boys.

I have Australorps, Buff Orps, SL Wyandotte, Delaware, Light Sussex, OEGB, Serama, Phoenix, and Cochin mix....

If I were to get more layers, I'd pick Ameracaunas. I would love to have some blue eggs.

For exotics, I have my eye on some Malaysian "ball type" silkied Seramas that I'd love to have.

I'd love to have the biggest buff silkie hen there is out there... but I don't see that ever happening.

I'd love to have a Coronation Sussex hen, just for fun.

I'd love to have a White Faced Black Spanish hen cuz I think they look cool.

I'd also like to have a Black Crested White Polish hen.. would add a funky chicken to the flock..

I'd love to have a white laced Cornish hen just for the heck of it. Variety is the spice of life...

Dreams, dreams, dreams. I'll be happy with my Marans, my Ameraucanas and my Icelandics.

If I had more room and was far richer than I am; I would love to have some of Dan Powell's BUFF LACED BRAHMAS!! To me, those are the prettiest chickens I've ever seen!!!
droolin.gif

My wish list chicken is a Lavender Orpington. Actually, any Orp but I have one Buff so that color wouldn't count.

I have room for 2-3 but finding someone willing to get rid of just a few is next to impossible.

ETA: Forgot to add why...Because they are beautiful and I love the personality.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom