Which breeds did you wish you got?

I have 2 ameraucana a (Easter eggers), 2 buff orps, a speckled Sussex, a sl Wyandotte, and 2 silkies. we had a gl Wyandotte but was killed by a neighbors dog. She has the best personality. The Sussex is the boss and smartest of the flock. She craves the most attention, followed by the buffs who are also the most talkative. The poor little silkies are cute but not very bright. I'm planning on adding BC marans RI Whites and at least 1 true Americana next year. I wish I had room for more.

I have 14 RIR chickens 4 BBR turkeys 6 toulouse geese!! And more ducks, bantams, chickens and americanas on the way! Hopefully a River otter dosent get this batch unlike the last batch :(. But one breed of chickens I really want are the Turkens so I hope I can get them
fl.gif
GREAT THREAD!!

I meant to respond to someone's post regarding if they had Black Australorp chicks. So, I posted pictures of some.

I meant to respond to someone's post regarding if they had Black Australorp chicks. So, I posted pictures of some.
Those look a lot like the hatchery Australorps I got to fill in an order. I'm wondering if the white goes away? I have one I call Dracula (lol) because she has a white face with black rings around her eyes and what look like long black sideburns. Will that white go away??? Hoping she will be a legitimate black Australorp someday...

Last edited:
I have three that had some white primary feathers on their wings as chicks. It molted out at about 8 weeks or so. They are all now solid black. I can't even tell them apart any more.

Those look a lot like the hatchery Australorps I got to fill in an order. I'm wondering if the white goes away? I have one I call Dracula (lol) because she has a white face with black rings around her eyes and what look like long black sideburns. Will that white go away??? Hoping she will be a legitimate black Australorp someday...

Yep, the white disappears. Here are 2 photos of one of our hatchery BA's, 1st picture as a chick and 2nd as a big girl:

I love having a wide variety of breeds, from the Speckled Sussex to the Rhode Island Red, Langshan, Brahma, Silkie and Sebright to many others. If I could add a couple more breeds to my flock they would be the D'Uccle, Australorp, and Lakenvelder. I hope to do so next year, by getting hatching eggs for my broodies.

My new batch of 17 chicks, include Black and White Giants, Columbian and Blue-laced Red Wyandottes, and a Dorking.

I would have really wanted a barded rock. Because I have a friend that Had one and she fallowed my friend every where! I did't get one because I wanted some polish and a brown egg layer so I got 2 polish and one RIR.

I love having a wide variety of breeds, from the Speckled Sussex to the Rhode Island Red, Langshan, Brahma, Silkie and Sebright to many others. If I could add a couple more breeds to my flock they would be the D'Uccle, Australorp, and Lakenvelder. I hope to do so next year, by getting hatching eggs for my broodies.

My new batch of 17 chicks, include Black and White Giants, Columbian and Blue-laced Red Wyandottes, and a Dorking.

I just got my order from Murray McMurray's hatchery and I could not be more pleased! I got 25 chicks (rainbow assortment) 1 free chick (egg layer) and 1 free buff polish chick (straight run). The others are all supposed to be pullets. I have Black Austrolorpes, Buff Orphingtons, New Hampshire Reds, Easter Eggers and what looks like Silver Laced Wyandottes. They were all happy and healthy this morning when I checked on them before going to work. My daughter assures me they are still doing fine. I'll have to see what hatches out in the next day or two out of the 8 eggs under my Cochin hen. She is sitting on 6 EE eggs and 2 Barred Rock eggs.

Back
Top Bottom