Which Chickens to get for new flock?

PincoPoultry

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2019
brooksville FLorida
We are looking between 3 different breeds of chicken to get and keep finding conflicting information on them and was looking for any insight or information/experience with these breeds to see which one would be best for a new flock. We are looking at the Black Australorps, New Hampshire Reds, and Plymouth Rocks. Which breed is the better forager and wouldn't need as much feed and which breed has the best egg production all year? We heard they were all a pretty good dual purpose bird for meat and egg. We live in Florida, not sure if that information is relevant. Thank you everyone for any information.

We are looking at the Black Australorps, New Hampshire Reds, and Plymouth Rocks. Which breed is the better forager and wouldn't need as much feed and which breed has the best egg production all year?
I have five Barred Rocks 16 months old and they laid 4 to 6 a week each till this month.
3 of 5 are in a molt, one recently finished and hasn't resumed laying. So last week I got 6 eggs.
They are friendly and more comfortable in my colder climate, they aren't as comfortable during the hot days of summer. I think the White Rock chickens would be better in Florida. I think a white or buff color would do better in a hot climate than a black or dark color.
I think @cmom in Florida has White Rocks.
I like the Henderson chicken chart to compare Breeds.
sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html GC

Bear in mind with the breeds mentioned they will need good shade and water for those humid, hot Florida summers. Otherwise all three are pretty good foragers. What conflicting info have you heard on them??
Mostly how well they forage and how many eggs they lay a year. some say 150 and then other hatchery sites say 250 for the same breed. We are wanting to get a good egg production chicken that doubles as a pretty good meat bird, we have a giant flock of buff orpington chickens right now but they lay medium eggs and our girls are bad foragers, lol.

I have five Barred Rocks 16 months old and they laid 4 to 6 a week each till this month.
3 of 5 are in a molt, one recently finished and hasn't resumed laying. So last week I got 6 eggs.
They are friendly and more comfortable in my colder climate, they aren't as comfortable during the hot days of summer. I think the White Rock chickens would be better in Florida. I think a white or buff color would do better in a hot climate than a black or dark color.
I think @cmom in Florida has White Rocks.
I like the Henderson chicken chart to compare Breeds.
sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html GC
Thank you, that information is very helpful, a chicken that does better in the heat would be a better choice, I did see they had different colored rocks.

With the rocks my partridge rocks were poor layers. Pretty birds but small and few eggs. I did give them three years before I removed them from my flock.

Australorp have been good birds for me.

Just remember that they will all still need regular feed even if they are decent foragers.
A lot will depend on the quality of forage they have. Here my birds would only have my yard to forage in....which certainly cannot meet their dietary needs.

Thank you, that information is very helpful, a chicken that does better in the heat would be a better choice, I did see they had different colored rocks.
I forgot to mention, my Barred Rocks are excellent at foraging, but I only let them out an hour before sunset daily. They dig through falling leaves, Chase and catch bugs. They are alert and see danger flying above and will run for cover. GC
20191019_172223_resized.jpg

Back
Top Bottom