Which fish can I put in this aquarium?

Faizan Ali

Songster
May 7, 2021
Hii, pls suggest which fish can I keep in an aquarium of this size. I don't know how many gallons it is.
20220902_181247.jpg

Get a gallon container and use it to fill it up for gallons.
What kind of fish do you have time for?
Filter? bubbler? heater? What's the year round temperatures of your home? Are you sure it designed to hold water and not lizards?

Get a gallon container and use it to fill it up for gallons.
What kind of fish do you have time for?
Filter? bubbler? heater? What's the year round temperatures of your home? Are you sure it designed to hold water and not lizards?
Yes I'm sure it's for fish. It's a bit dirty as it's not been cleaned/used for an year. I have a bubbler and a heater will need to buy a filter. I am not very familiar with fish. It would be my second time keeping them. I'm not interested in guppies, tetras and mollies etc. I think I like cichlids, parrot fish, angel fish and orandas more.

Yes I'm sure it's for fish. It's a bit dirty as it's not been cleaned/used for an year. I have a bubbler and a heater will need to buy a filter. I am not very familiar with fish. It would be my second time keeping them. I'm not interested in guppies, tetras and mollies etc. I think I like cichlids, parrot fish, angel fish and orandas more.
Those are all fish with a steep learning curve, I think parrot fish need salt water but I'm not sure. I'd do lots of research on those species and maybe go ask the aquarium reddit.

Measure the height, depth, and length, from that you can calculate the gallons. If by parrot fish, you mean those cichlid hybrid monstrosities, don't bother. And all of the fish you mentioned grow quite large and will need something of 60 gallons or more.

Are you interested in a species tank, or community? Planted or just the gravel? What are your water parameters (pH and hardness) and are you willing to adjust them?

These are all questions you'll need to answer before determining what kind of fish to keep.

The fish you listed all require fairly large tanks. I would say minimum of 30 gallons. Angels can be tricky as they are sensitive to water conditions. An oranda goldie might be your best bet, however goldies tend to be very dirty so ensuring you have enough filtration and regular cleanings are key. You will need to cycle your tank before you get fish, I would suggest starting that sooner than later as it can take more than a few weeks. You can do a fish-in cycle but its a lot of work and must be precisely done to avoid damaging your fish.
I cant tell how big that tank is by the picture but if its less than 30, I would recommend a nice schoal of fish. Gouramis are very neat and not as small as tetras/mollies so might be of interest to you. Just a suggestion!
Good luck!

Measure the height, depth, and length, from that you can calculate the gallons. If by parrot fish, you mean those cichlid hybrid monstrosities, don't bother. And all of the fish you mentioned grow quite large and will need something of 60 gallons or more.

Are you interested in a species tank, or community? Planted or just the gravel? What are your water parameters (pH and hardness) and are you willing to adjust them?

These are all questions you'll need to answer before determining what kind of fish to keep.
Will measure gallons in the morning. I am not sure about the ph level of the tap water but I can order a kit online since they are not that expensive. Planted aquariums do look really beautiful but look like alot of work aswell but I would like to replace the gravel with sand. If the above mentioned types are not possible to keep, I could get some other smaller fish. Tank looks similar to 30-40 gallon ones on the internet.

Sand brings with it a whole other level of difficulty. It can trap dirt and is more prone to anaerobic spots (without oxygen) because water can't flow through it like it can with gravel, which can poison your whole water column.

Most pet stores / aquarium shops will test your water for you if you bring them a sample. Just be wary, they'll try to sell you all kinds of stuff you don't need!

Yes, real plants take a lot of work. Nowadays, they have a lot of artificial ones that look just as good as the real thing. You won't get the advantages of having a real plant, but it means you can keep fish you otherwise wouldn't be able to (those that like to uproot or munch on plants).

Visit a shop, make note of which fish you like, and then research them from home. Don't give in to temptation. Most fish in stores are juveniles, and their labels are not always correct. Check to see what the adult size is, what they eat, how well they get along with other fish (their own kind as well as different kinds), if they need a minimum of the same kind of fish to thrive, water parameters, etc.

Yes, it's a lot of work, but in the end it will save you a lot of heartache and money.

Hii, pls suggest which fish can I keep in an aquarium of this size. I don't know how many gallons it is. View attachment 3244862
it looks to be around 20 gallons
if it is water tight, you can put a few guppies in there, Sword fins, mollies - I love those, they are so easy care!
you can have one Beta fish in there, in conjuction with them

Or - if you do not want to put a heater in it
2 goldfish
I used to belong to a fish forum, many moons ago. I am not sure if this is the one
https://www.fishforums.net/
things to consider: A biowheel. It used to be hailed as the superb filter system once appropriately inoculated.
Also, a water 'python' gravel siphoning tool, connected to your faucet.

Last edited:
Sand brings with it a whole other level of difficulty. It can trap dirt and is more prone to anaerobic spots (without oxygen) because water can't flow through it like it can with gravel, which can poison your whole water column.

Most pet stores / aquarium shops will test your water for you if you bring them a sample. Just be wary, they'll try to sell you all kinds of stuff you don't need!

Yes, real plants take a lot of work. Nowadays, they have a lot of artificial ones that look just as good as the real thing. You won't get the advantages of having a real plant, but it means you can keep fish you otherwise wouldn't be able to (those that like to uproot or munch on plants).

Visit a shop, make note of which fish you like, and then research them from home. Don't give in to temptation. Most fish in stores are juveniles, and their labels are not always correct. Check to see what the adult size is, what they eat, how well they get along with other fish (their own kind as well as different kinds), if they need a minimum of the same kind of fish to thrive, water parameters, etc.

Yes, it's a lot of work, but in the end it will save you a lot of heartache and money.
I measured the tank with a calculator online it turns out to be 30 gallons. I did some research about which fish I can keep in it. I decided that I would like to turn it into a planted aquarium and keep a betta, cherry shrimps, and some other schooling fish and if possible snails aswell. I don't know where to start from and which plants can grow in gravel. The plants I can easily find are guppy grass, duckweed, water lettuce and I have a few money plants aswell (Internet says they are safe for fish). I am not sure if this combination will work well in a 30 gallon tank. Also which filter will I need? All I have seen online are these:
Screenshot_20220903-120817_Chrome.jpg

it looks to be around 20 gallons
if it is water tight, you can put a few guppies in there, Sword fins, mollies - I love those, they are so easy care!
you can have one Beta fish in there, in conjuction with them

Or - if you do not want to put a heater in it
2 goldfish
I used to belong to a fish forum, many moons ago. I am not sure if this is the one
https://www.fishforums.net/
things to consider: A biowheel. It used to be hailed as the superb filter system once appropriately inoculated.
Also, a water 'python' gravel siphoning tool, connected to your faucet.
Thanks for the link will post there aswell. I did have a gravel siphoning tool but I've never seen a biowheel in any fish store here in Pakistan.

Back
Top Bottom