Which ivermectin for dogs?

Also does ,the "white feet, don't treat" mantra apply to the fur or the pad color? I don't think I have ever seen a dog with white pads; but we have never owned a collie or "herder" The Berner is tri-colored and has some white fur around some paws.
I have a Berner as well and wondering about treating with Ivermectin.

Quote:

Our mutt dog weighs about 40 pounds I believe. My daughter just used Ivermectin pour on (blue liquid) on him. She had a syringe with about 1/4 cc liquid in it, and used most of it (drops on his neck). He is still alive and well. Maybe she just got lucky, I don't know.

Sorry, I made an assumption I shouldn't have. Because we have been talking about the oral dose I assumed you meant giving pour on orally. By actually pouring it on you have to rely on the animals ability to absorb it in to there system threw the skin. Even in cows its 5 times stronger to make this work. In horses it is known to make it to the bloodstream but is usually not very effective at the levels that make it there. The studys that I saw with dogs seem to show that its so inefficient that the odds of curing anything in a dog with the pour on is almost zero. Hartworm was not part of there test though.

Back to the 1% injectable taken orally....
To give you an idea of what you are paying for with hartguard, its dosing for just hartworm is actually:
10 lbs = .0027 cc or ml
20 lbs = .0055 cc or ml
30 lbs = .0082 cc or ml
40 lbs = .011 cc or ml
50 lbs = .013 cc or ml
60 lbs = .016 cc or ml
70 lbs = .019 cc or ml
80 lbs = .022 cc or ml
90 lbs = .025 cc or ml
100 lbs = .027 cc or ml

breeders treating for mange, mites, worms, exc dose at 1/10th ml or 1/10th cc or 10 units of a insulin needle for every 10 pounds.

Besides the herding dog warning, abluechipstock's warning about not going over .8ml or .8cc or 80 insulin units is sound advice. I have heard that warning many times so I assume it is true.
These numbers seem really small. For a 90 lb Berner that would 25/100ths of a cc. I suspect the zero should be removed and it should be 0.25cc - which would be 1/4 of a cc. Still hard to dose that amount accurately and still low in my estimation.

According to Bluechip's measurements it would be 0.90cc.

All that to say, do some research before dosing your dog.

/Indie

Do you have a vet?
I fired my vet for gross negligence and insane rates. My dog had horrific reactions to rabies vaccines and they acted like it was nothing. It took almost a year to get her back to health. Vets who knows anything about Berners know they have very sensitive immune systems and should not be give a bunch of immunizations at once. I could go on for days but I won't. I feel for the troll and won't continue to feed him.

These numbers seem really small. For a 90 lb Berner that would 25/100ths of a cc. I suspect the zero should be removed and it should be 0.25cc - which would be 1/4 of a cc. Still hard to dose that amount accurately and still low in my estimation.
That dose is the monthly preventative dose of 0.006 mg/kg.
90 pounds / 2.2 x 0.006 mg / 10 = 0.0245 ml

1634919471685.png

According to Bluechip's measurements it would be 0.90cc.
That is the 0.2 mg/kg amount rounded up.
90 pounds / 2.2 x 0.2 mg / 10 = 0.818 ml
1634919667237.png

1634919545516.png

Thank you for the reference. I am looking at my Merck manual now. I also noticed this reference but it is in cc rather than ml.

The exact dosage is 0.0272 ml per 10 pounds of body weight, approximately 0.03 cc per 10 pounds of body weight.

https://www.petplace.com/article/dr...vermectin-ivomec-heartgard-for-dogs-and-cats/
cc & ml are interchangeable.

The exact dosage is 0.0272 ml per 10 pounds of body weight, approximately 0.03 cc per 10 pounds of body weight.

That is the preventive 0.006 mg per kg.
10 / 2.2 x 0.006 / 10 = 0.027 ml

Much obliged! I need to pick up smaller syringes than my current 3ml as the margin for error is higher than I would like with the coarse graduation marks.

What is your reference book above? It is not Merck or Mosby since I am looking at mine :)

Back
Top Bottom