White Brama Loosing Neck Feathers

friedokra

In the Brooder
Sep 5, 2016
Hi, we have a flock of 9 hens and one rooster, the white brama rooster has recently started loosing his neck feathers. We inspected and see parasites. Could this be molting? I do see new feathers starting in this area. Any thoughts?

It is partly a molting issue although typical feather replacement does not expose underlying skin. If mites involved they could be speeding the loss older feathers exposing the incoming blood feathers before the latter unfurl. I am seeing the same in groups not getting good access to full sun and dust bathing. Try to add a dust bathing option. Include some fine dust in the mix and possibly some peat.

Everything that centrachid said is or can be true, but since you are only noticing neck feather loss from your rooster I think that the hens are picking his feathers and eating them.

I especially suspect this because you report not seeing lose feathers laying around. Also his remaining neck feathers are likely curled and twisted like a woman's old fashion curling iron would do.

This is from him pulling away while a hen still had a hackle feather in her beak.

I suspect low protein. Start feeding a full can of all meat dog food to your flock once or twice a week and see if the old boy's neck feathers don't start coming back. Also toss the chicken food and begin feeding pig chow or other swine food.

Animal feed is formulated according to the fancy of the people buying the feed, not according to what is good for the animal eating that feed. All the money is supplied by humans and we are fallible and more than a little naive. Therefor I believe that if radio activity ever became fashionable again that the chicken food sold by some of the so called upscale feed mills will soon begin to glow in the dark, that is if it doesn't already do so..
hmm.png

I am leaning towards low protein as the cause...During roosting the hens are eating his feathers....
This works...ADD DRY CAT FOOD TO THEIR DIET.....It does help when feather eating becomes an issue....A few handfuls every other day, for about two weeks or as you see fit? Throw as a treat....They gobble it up....

Cheers

Thanks for the reply. They free range in a 1/4 acre back yard during the day and the coop run floor is about 3" of fill sand, not fine play sand.

Thanks, the flock is approaching 20 weeks old, we are still feeding organic starter feed. I assume non-chick starter feed would have more protein? Also why would they only be eating the rooster's feathers?

Hi, we have a flock of 9 hens and one rooster, the white brama rooster has recently started loosing his neck feathers. We inspected and see parasites. Could this be molting? I do see new feathers starting in this area. Any thoughts?
What parasites did you find?
Googles images of lice and mites to help ID.

Thanks, the flock is approaching 20 weeks old, we are still feeding organic starter feed. I assume non-chick starter feed would have more protein? Also why would they only be eating the rooster's feathers?
At 20 weeks you have pullets and a cockerel(not hens and cock or rooster until one year of age.)
He would probably not be molting at that age...have you seen the pullets pulling feathers?
Starter feed usually has more protein than other feeds...learn to read the feed bag labels, sewn into bottom of bags.

How much space do they have when not ranging....in feet by feet....in coop and run?

Crap, I made a typo in original post. "We see NO parasites" is what I meant to say. We are new to backyard chickens, so apparently not experts on what they are called vs their age.. They are in a 5' X 12' run when not in the 1/4 acre yard.

I would attach a picture if I could figure out how to do that. When i click on the attachment icon, I get a "you don't have permission" message.

Back
Top Bottom