White chicken breeds?

EHook518

Songster
11 Years
May 23, 2012
Denver, CO
Hi I need some help with breeds. I would like to add a pure white hen to my little flock. I do not want a white egg layer so I know leghorns are out. What breeds come in pure white that are social and friendly? I am not looking to breed, I just love the "classic" chicken look.
love.gif
Thank you in advance.

Chanteclair
smile.png

Or white Ameraucana.

I had never heard of the chantecler, but after looking it up I want one lol! My problem is that I do not have an incubator and I have a small backyard urban farm so I don't know how to get one (purchasing 10+ birds is not really an option).

I am going to look at some Rhode Island Whites on Thursday. Any thoughts on that breed?
They're very rare to the point I doubt they're what you'll be looking at. Rhode Island Whites are a rose combed breed only, there is no single combed version. However, there are a lot of single combed Rhode Island Whites being bought & sold. Most people either don't know or don't accept that they should be rose combed only. If when you see these birds they have single combs they're not Rhode Island Whites.

I am going to look at some Rhode Island Whites on Thursday. Any thoughts on that breed?

They're very rare to the point I doubt they're what you'll be looking at. Rhode Island Whites are a rose combed breed only, there is no single combed version. However, there are a lot of single combed Rhode Island Whites being bought & sold. Most people either don't know or don't accept that they should be rose combed only. If when you see these birds they have single combs they're not Rhode Island Whites.

The commercial strains of RSL use this kind of single combed silver(white) bird that the hatcheries all claim to use in making some of their Red Sex Links. Since true, rose combed, RIW are often stated to be so rare as to number less than 3000 known to be in existence, this line of hatchery white parent stock birds must be a creation.

Was RIW in their lineage? unknown. White Sussex? likely, given that most poultry genetic companies were/are located in Europe. Leghorn? given the desire for extreme egg production in the RSL, it seems likely.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom