White Crested Black Polish

Bridgette1221

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Ok so... I have also become an addict! You just can't help it. My first batch of 11 went out into their coop 2 nights ago at 24 days old. The are LOVIN it. I go out there and sit with them though b/c I miss them soo!!
hit.gif
So today the feed store got some of these adorable, can't help yourself afro headed white crested black polish!
woot.gif
I couldn't help myself, plus my step daughter specifically asked for this type and who am I to be the wicked step mother right!! So, I got 4! and 2 more americana's. The other one I have has the most personality of all of them. Jealous little thing. I have like 5 that fly up and sit on me when I go sit with them and he will fly to knock which ever one of them off of me that he can
lau.gif
! Anyway to my question... any of you have any of the white crested black polish and if so what are their personalities like?

Congrats!
clap.gif

I did and they was the sweetest little things and used to follow me across the room when I left out and come running to sit with me and snuggle for a nap.
I miss them but they are now re-homed and happy they are not getting picked on anymore. Not sure if they are all like that but just wanted to share my experience with you. Good luck and enjoy!
yippiechickie.gif

Hi! I have 1 White Crested Black Polish Male?/Female? not sure but i thinks it's a boy (hope so cuz if not it's gonna have identity issues being named Batman and all) LOL. He is the nicest out of all my chicks (19). He tries to walk away when i go to pick him up but he doesn't run away like the others. When i pick him up he roosts on my finger; doesn't even stand up and he'll change fingers everytime i put my other finger by him. He is the SWEETEST thing!!!!! Next year i want to get him a female. he was my freebie from McMurray so only got him. Here's a pic when he was 3 weeks old i think. He's now 7 weeks old tomorrow. My camera's broken but if you want i'll post an updated pic when it's fixed! My avatar is of him a few days old with his buddy Robin the silkie.
3435500365_00b5f43b69_m.jpg

3436304196_32bdffcffe_m.jpg

i have a bantam splash i hatched almost 8 weeks ago and i love him/her but think it will be a male. (still can't figure out the gender yet.) i love my Chickie! just wish he wouldn't always flutter up to my head every moment he gets. he's got enough spunk to keep the dog at bay when it wants to play rough. but sweet enough to just settle in on my shoulder or arm and just coo with content. he screeches for me when i'm not near. and loves to jump on top of his water container as a roost mostly at night.

i found out a few nights ago that he's also an escape artist. i've been using a 29 gallon aquarium as a brooder/pen just for him since he was the only one to hatch out at the time. i've kept wire mesh over the top and thought this would be fine and keep him in but he's been so active the last couple of weeks and always hopping to be let out for the exercise. (we're still working on getting the coop finished.)

my cat was my first clue that something was wrong. she's sitting at the base of where his pen was and she's looking up at something but not directly at the pen. i didn't see at first till i walked over to Chickie's pen. NO BIRD!!! i hear squeaking and chirping coming from somewhere close! i turn around and look slightly up where i have a coat hook attached to the wall and there's Chickie looking down at me wondering if i'm going to do something about the furball on the floor waiting for him. (at least the dog wasn't loose!)

i hatched 2 more bantams a week ago today-one is a splash and the other is a WC black from the looks of it. (these should carry the frizzle gene but don't look frizzled.) the splash is so sweet and comes to my hand to cuddle and escape the others in the brooder. she has such a beautiful top knot on her head. i can't wait to see her finished! (i believe both may be females.)

I've got two white crested black polish in my brooder now - they're two of my more "active" chicks. They were the first to be brave enough to take feed out of my hand, and they were one of the first to try jumping out of the brooder. They still tend to scream and cry a little bit when I'm picking them up, but they settle down pretty quick.

I guess they are more active! I had originally bought 12, 1 died
sad.png
(black silkie) and the rest are doing great on their 3rd day in their new home but at 1 to 2 days old they werent near as active as these 4! They are already fighting over food! I gave them a nice warm boiled egg right after getting them home and it wasn't no time that they were chasing each other around with egg in their beak... which is funny b/c they are still wobbly on their legs yet
wee.gif
!!! SO funny!

I have 2 WC black polish hens right now...Also had a golden laced. All 3 are very nice birds. They are quite the characters
big_smile.png
Mine are a little skittish but I didn't raise them from chicks either. Even though I can't walk up and handle them, they still run over to me, and follow me around the yard - very cute!! Do be careful though - all that poof can make it harder for them to see (My "Mummer" actually ran into me one time
tongue.png
), and easier for predators to pick off if they are free range ("had a golden laced"
sad.png
)

I'm SO jealous!! I wish I could go into our feed stores and find polish chicks! How neat! HAVE FUN!!

Back
Top Bottom