White liquid found at mt chicken coop

ChickenMasta1105

Chirping
Dec 9, 2020
Hi! Please reply to this quickly. I found this white liquid thing in my chicken coop. My chickens are around 7 week olds, and I found this weird white substance today. Please help, what is it?!
20201218_162818.jpg

Edit: I found this weird dropping there too. Please tell me if it is normal.
20201218_172646.jpg

Last edited:
First picture looks like watery urates (urates are the white part of the dropping) and second looks like shed intestinal lining.
How are they behaving? In 7 week olds with droppings like this if you see any signs of lethargy, not eating or drinking well, sitting puffed up, I would treat for coccidiosis. Additional symptoms are runny or mucousy droppings, and sometimes bloody droppings. It's very common in chicks. If in doubt, I would treat, the treatment is very safe. Treatment is Corid, available at Tractor Supply stores and many feed stores, it will be in the cattle/livestock section. Either liquid or powder can be used (pictures below). Dosing chart below, use the severe outbreak dosing always. Treated water should be the only water available and no vitamin supplements during treatment as it could reduce the effectiveness of the medication.
Occasional intestinal lining can be nothing to worry about, but since coccidiosis can kill pretty quickly, if in doubt I would treat.
900x900px-LL-a380cae7_Untitled.jpeg

2202129.jpg

1033284.jpg

First picture looks like watery urates (urates are the white part of the dropping) and second looks like shed intestinal lining.
How are they behaving? In 7 week olds with droppings like this if you see any signs of lethargy, not eating or drinking well, sitting puffed up, I would treat for coccidiosis. Additional symptoms are runny or mucousy droppings, and sometimes bloody droppings. It's very common in chicks. If in doubt, I would treat, the treatment is very safe. Treatment is Corid, available at Tractor Supply stores and many feed stores, it will be in the cattle/livestock section. Either liquid or powder can be used (pictures below). Dosing chart below, use the severe outbreak dosing always. Treated water should be the only water available and no vitamin supplements during treatment as it could reduce the effectiveness of the medication.
Occasional intestinal lining can be nothing to worry about, but since coccidiosis can kill pretty quickly, if in doubt I would treat.
View attachment 2454282
View attachment 2454283
View attachment 2454284
My chickens are all very energetic and behave normally, they do puff up and sit around here and there, but overall very energetic.

If they are all acting normally, then you can just keep a close eye. I would be prepared to treat if necessary. The liquid medication usually has a very long shelf life, and it's really good to have it on hand just in case, especially when raising chicks. If you see any signs listed above, then I would start treatment right away. Depending on what strain of coccidia (if that's what it is) they can go from being apparently fine, to dying, in a matter of hours. Some strains are more virulent than others.
You can also give sick birds an oral dose, in addition to the medicated water, instructions for that are here, so you have it for future reference:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/

Back
Top Bottom